Teacher Education Programs

License Additions, Minors, and Academic Certificates

License Addition Programs for Teacher Education Majors

Students completing a primary teaching license may add license additions in the following areas. Current additions range between 18 and 32 credits. It may not be possible to complete the additions as part of the basic 120 credit hour degree plan. See a School of Education Academic Advisor for program details and applications.

  • Computer Educator License Addition: The Computer Education License (CEL) program will equip teachers to use technology integration methods, manage a computer lab, and provide enrichment experiences for students in settings at the same level as their original license. The license addition also permits secondary teachers to teach specific technology courses in middle, junior, and high school settings. The program is available to currently licensed teachers and teacher candidates who are completing an initial license in a recognized Teacher Education Program. 
  • English as a New Language License Addition: A license addition in English as a New Language (ENL) will prepare teachers to work with students of different linguistic and cultural backgrounds in the classroom. Candidates must demonstrate oral proficiency in English as well as competence in a world language equivalent to two semesters of university world language or two years of high school world language. Requirements include a combination of graduate and undergraduate courses. 
  • Health EducationLicense Addition: Contact the School of Public Health for details. (Pending)
  • Journalism License Addition: This license addition is available to students completing a Secondary or All-grades settings primary license. The journalism addition prepares students to supervise student media publications. The addition is offered by the Media School.
  • Mathematics Middle Grades License Addition: This program is available to students completing or holding an elementary level license (middle grades are part of the secondary license) who are interested in teaching mathematics in departmentalized middle schools. 
  • Physical Education License Addition: Contact the School of Public Health for details.
  • Reading License Addition: Students interested in specializing in reading instruction may add this to their primary license program. The program features linguistics, professional roles, methods, and a practicum. 
  • Theatre License Addition: Secondary license students can add the theatre license addition to their program in order to teach theatre arts. 

Non-Teaching Education Minors and Certificates

The School of Education offers minors for students interested in the field of education but not teaching. Each minor requires the completion of 15 credit hours of coursework.

  • Counseling Minor: This minor is designed for students interested in exploring the counseling role across many disciplines and focusing on interpersonal communication, advanced listening skills, empathetic understanding of alternate perspectives, and providing assistance in personal and social change. This program is open to all undergraduate students. 
  • Education Policy Minor: The School of Public and Environmental Affairs, in coordination with the School of Education, offers an undergraduate minor in policy that explores management and organizational behavior, budgeting, program evaluation, and policy analysis. 
  • Educational Studies Minor: This minor is designed for students who are exploring education as a potential major field of study, student development, or learning theory but do not want a teaching license. The program requires course work in the foundations, educational psychology, and electives in the education field of interest. This program is not available to Education majors. 
  • International and Comparative Education Minor: This minor is designed for undergraduates who want to explore and compare how education works around the globe, both inside and outside schools. This minor will introduce students to an interdisciplinary field that blends the best of the liberal arts and professional practice. 
  • Higher Education and Student Affairs Certificate: This certificate is designed for students who are interested in exploring the role of student affairs in higher education. The program has an emphasis on the essential knowledge, intellectual competencies and practical skills necessary to work within a higher education setting.

Academic Bulletins