Policies & Procedures

Withdrawals from Courses

A student may withdraw from a course during the first 10 weeks of the semester (fifth week of a summer session) and will automatically receive a grade of W. After the tenth week (fifth week of a summer session), the grade shall be W or F as determined by the instructor.

At any time during the semester, the student may secure a Schedule Adjustment Form from the registrar's office. A completed form must be submitted to the registrar's office within seven days from the date of issuance in order for the change to be valid. The effective date of the form for grading and refund purposes will be the date of processing in the registrar's office.

Withdrawals during the automatic W period require the signatures of the student and the academic advisor. After the automatic withdrawal period, a student may withdraw only with the permission of his or her division dean or director. This approval is given only for urgent reasons relating to extended illness or equivalent distress. To qualify for the grade of W, a student must be passing the course on the date of withdrawal. If the student is failing, the grade recorded on the date of withdrawal will be F.

Students who alter their original class schedules, whether by personal incentive or by university directive, must do so officially by the procedure outlined above. Students who do not assume this responsibility are jeopardizing their records by the possibility of incurring an F in a course not properly dropped or not receiving credit in a course improperly added.

Students who simply stop attending classes without formally withdrawing will jeopardize their student status and will become liable for repayment of all federal financial aid.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.