About the Kelley Undergraduate Program

Minors and Certificate

Optional Minors for Kelley Students

Students in the Kelley School may elect to complete the requirements for a minor in another IU Bloomington School. The department offering the minor defines the requirements for the minor and students are required to follow that department’s rules regarding grades, prerequisites, and course requirements.

Certificate for Non-Kelley Students

The Business Foundations Certificate provides the liberal arts and professional school student with an introduction to the basic concepts of business. The certificate is flexible enough to be easily integrated into a student’s major area of study since the subject matter complements most academic pursuits.

Minors for Non-Kelley Students

The Business Minor is open to students with 26 or more credit hours of college work that count toward graduation, and who are admitted to any of the following degree-granting schools: College of Arts and Sciences (including General Studies) (COLL), Education (EDUC), Informatics and Computing (INFO), Journalism (JOUR), Music (MUS), Nursing (NURS), Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA), Public Health (SPH), Social Work (SWK).  Students may obtain one or more minors in business by successfully fulfilling the appropriate requirements. Courses may not be taken through independent study/correspondence; all 300/400 level courses must be taken on the IU Bloomington campus; courses may not be taken pass/fail.  

Students should meet with an advisor from their major department to ensure that program planning is accurate.  Each degree granting school has specific GPA, credits, and/or grade requirements for the minor as outlined below.   


  • C in K201 and C- or higher in each other course
  • Overall GPA of 2.0 in all courses required for the minor
  • Must complete at least 9 credits at 300 level (F300 plus two electives)
  • NOTE: The College of Arts and Sciences limits the number of credit hours outside the College that will count toward their degree; see the College of Arts and Sciences Bulletin for details. Students who are unclear about requirements or minimum grades should check with their school's recorder.


  • C in K201 and C- or higher in each other course
  • Overall GPA of 2.0 in all courses required for the minor


  • C or higher in all courses counting toward the minor

All Other IUB Schools:

  • C or higher in BUS-K 201
  • Overall GPA of 2.0 in all courses required for the minor

It is the student’s responsibility to check with his or her individual school to make sure the proper procedures for declaring the minor and completing requirements are followed. Students completing a business minor should fill out an online application or the Application for Minor form in the Recorder’s Office of the school in which they intend to graduate in order to have the minor listed on their transcripts. If a school has not yet accepted a minor for inclusion in transcripts, a business academic advisor may write a letter stating that a student has completed all the coursework required for a particular minor.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.