IUPUI Bulletins » Schools » purdue-science » Undergraduate » General Requirements


General Requirements
School of Science requirements are the minimal requirements in various areas, and individual departments/programs may require more, as stated in their degree descriptions. Students should consult with departmental/program advisors in planning their courses of study.
  1. A minimum of 120 credit hours for all programs must be completed. Approval must be obtained from the School of Science to use as credit toward graduation any course that was completed 10 or more years previously.

  2. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 is required.

  3. A minimum of 24 credit hours must be taken in a major subject (see program requirements) with a minimum grade point average of 2.00. No grade below C- is acceptable in the major subject. Some majors may have higher minimum grade requirements (see program requirements).

  4. At least four courses totaling a minimum of 12 credit hours in the major subject must be completed at IUPUI (see departmental/program requirements).

  5. Residence at IUPUI for at least two semesters and completion, while at IUPUI, of at least 32 credit hours of work in courses at the 300 level or higher are required.

  6. With the approval of the Executive Director of Academic and Student Affairs or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, students who have had at least four semesters of resident study may complete up to 15 credit hours of the senior year at another approved college or university. In order to transfer back to IUPUI, a transfer course must be a grade of C or higher.

  7. Courses taken on the Pass/Fail option may be applied only as general electives and not toward degree AREA requirements of the school or department/program. Courses taken on the Pass/Fail option may apply to the 32 credit hours residency requirement listed in item 5 if the course is at the 300-level or higher.

  8. No more than 64 credit hours earned in accredited junior or community colleges can be applied toward a degree.

  9. Students may enroll in independent study (correspondence) courses for general electives up to a maximum of 12 credit hours with permission of the Executive Director of Academic and Student Affairs or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Independent study (correspondence) courses may not apply to the 32 credit hours residency requirement listed in item 5. Independent study (correspondence) courses may not apply to course requirements in minors or certificates.

  10. With permission of the appropriate department or program, credit may be earned through special credit examination. Credits earned by special credit examination may be used toward the total credit hours required and to satisfy AREA requirements for a degree.

  11. The following courses do not count for any credit toward any degree program in the School of Science: AGR 10100; BIOL-N120; BUS-K201, BUS-K204; CSCI-N100-level courses; CIT 10600; all remedial and developmental courses; EDUC-U205, EDUC-W200, EDUC-W201, EDUC-X100, EDUC-X150, EDUC-X151, EDUC-X152; ENG-G010, ENG-G011, ENG-G012, ENG-W001, ENG-W031; MATH-M010, MATH 00100, MATH-M001, MATH 00200, MATH 11000, MATH 11100, MATH 12300, MATH 13000, MATH 13200, MATH 13600; PHYS 01000; UCOL-U112, UCOL-U210.

    NOTE: This is not a complete list. The School and department/program reserve the right to exclude course credit when it is deemed as overlapping with other earned credit or it is determined to be remedial in nature.

    • Note that CHEM-C100 may count for general elective credit only if the student has not already established credit in CHEM-C101 or CHEM-C105/CHEM-C106, or equivalent courses. Otherwise, CHEM-C100 does not count for credit in any given degree program.

    • Note that if credit has been established for both GEOL-G132 and GEOL-G107, then only GEOL-G107 may apply to AREA IIIC. In this case, GEOL-G132 may count as a general elective provided that credit was established in GEOL-G132 preceding GEOL-G107.

  1. No more than 6 credit hours of studio, clinical, athletic, or performing arts course work will be approved unless the additional credit hours are required to complete a (or were previously applied to an earned) certificate, minor, or second degree. Verification of academic intent or program completion of a certificate, minor, or second degree is required. Also, any athletic or performance-type credit earned through military service that is eligible for transfer to IUPUI will count and not be considered as part of the 6-credit hour minimum. Consult a school or departmental/program advisor with questions.
  2. No more than 8 credit hours of military credit can apply towards the degree program.

  3. An online application for a degree or certificate graduation must be completed by the following deadlines. Beginning Spring 2016 semester of graduation, only students who are not enrolled in any other course are required to enroll in CAND 99100. Authorization for this course will be given once the application has been submitted. Applications must be submitted by January 15 for August graduation; May 15 for December graduation; and October 15 for May graduation. If not enrolled in any other courses, students should also register for the appropriate section of CAND 99100 (0 credit hours) during their final semester before graduation. Degree candidates for December, May, or August graduation of a particular academic year may participate in the May Commencement (e.g. students having graduated in December 2015, May 2016, or August 2016 will participate in the May 2016 Commencement Exercises). Students completing a certificate program do not participate in Commencement Exercises.
  4. In general, credit is not allowed for both of two overlapping courses. Examples of course overlaps include (NOTE: This is not a complete list.):

  • BIOL-N100 and BIOL-K101/BIOL-K103
  • BIOL-N100 and BIOL-K102/BIOL-K104
  • BIOL-N212/BIOL-N213 and BIOL-N217
  • BIOL-N214/BIOL-N215 and BIOL-N261
  • CHEM-C101/CHEM-121 and CHEM-C105 and/or CHEM-C106
  • CHEM-C102 and CHEM-C341/CHEM-C343
  • CHEM-C110 and CHEM-C341
  • CHEM-C110/CHEM-C115 and CHEM-C341/CHEM-C343
  • CHEM-C360 and CHEM-C361
  • CHEM-C325 and CHEM-C410/CHEM-C411
  • GEOL-G110 and GEOG-G107
  • GEOL-G185 and GEOG-G185
  • GEOL-G221 and GEOL-G306
  • GEOL-G222 and GEOL-G306
  • MATH-M119 and MATH 22100 or MATH 23100 or MATH 16300 or MATH 16500
  • MATH 15100 or 15900 and MATH 15300/15400
  • MATH 15100 and MATH 15900
  • MATH 22100/MATH 22200 and MATH 23100/MATH 23200
  • MATH 22100/MATH 22200 and MATH 16300/MATH 16400 or MATH 16500/MATH 16600
  • MATH 23100/MATH 23200 and MATH 16300/MATH 16400 or MATH 16500/MATH 16600
  • MATH 16300 and MATH 16500
  • MATH 16400 and MATH 16600
  • PHYS-P201/PHYS-P202 or PHYS 21800/PHYS 21900 and PHYS 15200/PHYS 25100
  • PSY-B320 and BIOL-L391 Addictions (IU East)
  • SCI-I120 and UCOL-U110
  • STAT 30100 and PSY-B305
In addition, any course that is retaken is considered an overlap. Consult with your academic advisor regarding other overlapping courses.
See statements about required First-Year Experience Course and Senior Capstone Experience in the description of the Bachelor of Arts degree and the Bachelor of Science degree programs.