IUPUI Bulletins » Undergraduate » Admission » Types of Transfer Admission and Qualifications Types of Transfer Admission and Qualifications
Transfers from Other IU Campuses

Students who are eligible to transfer to IUPUI as degree candidates from another campus of Indiana University must meet the degree requirements of the IUPUI school from which they expect to graduate. Students who plan to obtain a degree from another campus should contact and remain in contact with the dean of their prospective school for specific information on course, degree, and residency requirements.

A student at another Indiana University campus, whether coming to IUPUI on a temporary or permanent basis, should review the information about intercampus transfer at http://enroll.iupui.edu/admissions/undergraduate/intercampus/.

If a student has earned college credits at another school after leaving the IU campus, the student must provide an official transcript to the IUPUI Office of Undergraduate Admissions (420 University Blvd., CE 255, Indianapolis, IN 46202).

Transfers from Other Purdue Campuses

A Purdue University student from another campus must complete an official undergraduate application through the IUPUI Office of Admissions (http://enroll.iupui.edu). If credits have been earned outside of Purdue, an official transcript from the non-Purdue schools must be provided. An application fee does not need to be paid.

Note: Courses with grades from C- to D- from other Purdue campuses appear on the IUPUI transcript. The grades are not calculated in a student's IUPUI GPA; however, individual schools and programs may choose to use the courses to satisfy degree requirements.

Transfers from Other Universities

A student from any other college or university must complete an official undergraduate application through the IUPUI Office of Admissions (http://enroll.iupui.edu). Applicants are required to provide official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions they have attended.

IUPUI has increasing numbers of articulation agreements with Ivy Tech Community College that permit credits  to transfer to IUPUI. No courses completed before the fall 1990 semester will transfer. For more information, visit the transfer student portion of http://enroll.iupui.edu.

IUPUI offers transfer students two categories of undergraduate admission (degree-seeking and visitor).

Degree-Seeking Students

If you wish to enter an undergraduate certificate, associate's, or bachelor's degree program, you will apply as a degree-seeking student (even if you are unsure of which degree program).

Admission Standards General Policy

If you have fewer than 26 hours of transferable work, you must provide a high school transcript as well as transcripts of your college work. If you were not admissible from high school, you are expected to complete any review courses that your college requires as well as freshman composition, college algebra, and courses in the general education area (e.g. psychology, sociology, history, speech, biology, political science). You must have a total of 26 transferable hours with a cumulative grade point average of a 2.0 once this contract has been established.

If you were admissible from high school or you have more than 26 hours of transferable work, you must have a cumulative grade point average of at least  2.0 on a 4.0 scale and be eligible to return to your previous college.  If you do not have a 2.0 or you not eligible to return to your former school, you must sit out for one regular semester. (Note: Students who were deferred must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher in order to be considered for admissions.)  Students transferring from another Purdue campus are exempt from this policy unless they are on drop status or are required to sit out one or more semesters by Purdue University.  Summer sessions do not count. If you have been dismissed twice, you must be out of school for two full semesters to be considered for admission. Please mail a statement with your application explaining what caused the low grades and how you will approach your studies at IUPUI.

Admission on Probation

Assuming you were admissible from high school but your GPA is below a 2.0, you will be considered for admission on probation provided you have met or are meeting the required length of time out of school. If you were not admissible from high school, you must  complete 26 transferable hours and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 at another school or university before being able to transfer to IUPUI.  In some cases, students with GPA's below a 2.0 will be required to file a petition and perhaps schedule an interview. After reviewing your application, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will advise you if you must take these steps. 

Credentials Needed
  • Official college transcript from every college attended.

An official copy is one that has the embossed or raised seal of the school. Fax copies, photocopies, and grade reports are not considered official.

  • High school transcript or GED results if you have fewer than 26 credit hours of transferable work.
  • Please note that you are responsible for mailing the request to your former colleges and paying whatever fee is charged.
Transfer Credit

Acceptance of credit from other accredited institutions, including Purdue University, is performed by the IUPUI Office of Admissions, Campus Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202-5143, (317) 274-4591.

If the work was completed elsewhere, only courses with grades of C (2.0) or higher are transferred for possible use toward an IUPUI degree. No courses with grades of C- or lower will transfer to IUPUI. None of the grades transferred from other colleges or universities count in the IUPUI grade point average. Some schools, however, may consider such grades for admission purposes and other academic matters.

Course work taken at another institution for which there is an equivalent Indiana University course or Purdue University course (in terms of course description, level, and prerequisites) will generally be transferred as credit in the equivalent courses. Other course work will be transferred as undistributed and reviewed by the appropriate department or school to determine how it will be counted toward degree requirements. In addition, the university does not accept the transference of special credit by examination awarded by another college or university.

Courses taken at another institution on a quarter system rather than a semester system will be evaluated as carrying fewer credit hours (e.g., a 3 credit hour course taken on a quarter system will transfer as 2 credit hours). Many course equivalences for most Indiana colleges may be found on the IUPUI admissions Web site at enroll.iupui.edu.

Courses taken at foreign institutions that are accredited at the same level as IUPUI will be transferred into IUPUI as undistributed credit rather than as specific courses. In general, the international admissions evaluator will designate the credit as lower-division course work with a 100 number, though if it is clear that the course work warrants a 200 or 300 number, such designations will be used. If students want courses to count for specific classes, they must obtain an official translation of the course description and any other material, such as a syllabus, that explains the course content. With that material, the department offering the course can determine whether there is an equivalent IUPUI course. An individual within each department or school will be responsible for making the determination and informing the Office of International Affairs, using the Undistributed Transfer Credit Departmental Evaluation Form. Subsequently, the appropriate changes will be made on the student's official transcript.

The decision about which courses are counted in a student's IUPUI GPA depends on where the courses were taken. Course work taken at another Indiana University campus will be counted in a student's IUPUI GPA. IUPUI students in Purdue University programs who have previously taken course work at another PU campus may have those grades counted toward their IUPUI GPA. Contact specific schools or look at their material in this bulletin for more information. Purdue students are exempt from this policy unless they are on drop status or are required to sit out one semester.

How accepted credit is applied to program requirements is determined by the school and/or department that offer the course(s). Courses that were completed 10 years ago (or even more recently) may not be accepted in some programs and must be approved by the individual school and department awarding the degree.

Last Updated: February, 2014.