Undergraduate Academic Programs


Current IU Students

Most students admitted to Indiana University Bloomington (IUB) first enter University Division, where they must complete a specific set of requirements if they are interested in gaining admittance to the School of Public Health-Bloomington. Although University Division provides advising services, students who are considering a degree from the School of Public Health should also meet—early in their time at IU—with our School of Public Health academic advisors.

For additional information on applying to IUB, please visit the Office of Admissions website.

Entrance requirements

Apart from students who are admitted to the School of Public Health directly through the Direct Admission process or Immediate Certification transfer process, students who wish to pursue a School of Public Health undergraduate major must have:

1. Successful completion of at least 26 credit hours.
2. Minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) at IUB.

Most School of Public Health undergraduate majors require the completion of 26 credit hours and a 2.0 IU campus GPA for admission. The following majors have additional requirements:

  • Dietetics - requires a 3.0 IU campus GPA and C or higher in both CHEM-C 117 and CHEM-C 127
  • Exercise Science - requires a 2.0 IU campus GPA and a C or higher in SPH-K 212
  • Sport Marketing & Management - requires a 2.0 IU campus GPA and a C- or higher in SPH-M 211

Students in University Division must also declare their intent to pursue an SPH major to the University Division Records Office. If a student earns less than a 2.0 semester GPA for the term before entering the School of Public Health, the student may be admitted on academic probation if the student has completed 26 credits and has at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.

When students in University Division have satisfied the School of Public Health’s entrance requirements, they will be certified to the School of Public Health in the major indicated as the primary major. Certification takes place three times a year, usually around the third week of each semester (Summer, Fall, and Spring) and students are sent a notification when this happens. Students should ensure their records reflect their intended major well in advance of the certification period each semester.

For more information, check the Course Degree Requirements (requires CAS login) for the program you are pursuing.

Academic Bulletins