Graduate Division

Admission Requirements

All persons with a bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited college, university, conservatory, or its demonstrated equivalent, are eligible to apply for admission to the Graduate Division of the Jacobs School of Music, which administers master’s degrees, doctoral degrees, diploma programs, and graduate certificates. Bachelor’s degree equivalency is determined by the Indiana University Office of International Services for applicants who have completed their undergraduate studies abroad.

Students with a non-degree based conservatory education (resulting in advanced diplomas in performance, music history, and music theory) who can satisfy an undergraduate equivalent in music can be considered for entrance into the diploma programs of the Graduate Division, while bachelor equivalency is required for entrance to the master’s program.

Students with undergraduate degrees in areas other than music may be admitted to the Graduate Division of the Jacobs School of Music as non-degree students or as diploma students until an undergraduate equivalency in music is satisfied. Consult the Music Graduate Office for the details of equivalency requirements.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.

Previous Bulletins

Students are ordinarily subject to the curricular requirements outlined in the Bulletin in effect at the start of their current degree. See below for links to previous Bulletins.