Transfer Students

Transfers from Programs in Other Schools on the Bloomington Campus ("School Change")

Students transferring to the College of Arts and Sciences from undergraduate programs in other schools on the Bloomington campus—such as the Kelley School of Business, the School of Education, or the Jacobs School of Music—must meet the College's Entrance Requirements


Students must contact the academic advisor in the department in which they wish to become a major. The advisor will submit a School Change Request to the College Recorder's Office for processing. Requests to change schools should be completed by July 1 for the fall semester, December 1 for the spring semester, and April 15 for the summer session.

Transfers to and from Other Indiana University Campuses ("Intercampus Transfer")

Students can transfer easily from one campus of Indiana University to another and continue their studies as degree candidates (Intercampus Transfer). Credits are evaluated on a course-by-course basis, but students generally find that most courses do transfer because of the similarity of coursework on the eight campuses.

  • Intercampus Transfer students from other IU campuses will be able to declare a major and enter the College of Arts and Sciences directly if they meet the College's Entrance Requirements.
  • Intercampus Transfer students from other IU campuses who do not meet College entrance standards will enter University Division or the IU Bloomington School where their current major is offered. In order to declare a major and enter the College, they will first need to complete coursework that qualifies them for certification into the College.

Transferring students should note:

  • Degree requirements differ among the various campuses of Indiana University and among the schools on individual campuses.
  • Engineering and technical courses, including courses from the School of Engineering and Technology, cannot be applied as credit toward a degree program in the College of Arts and Sciences.
  • Students who transfer as degree candidates from one campus of Indiana University to another must meet the degree requirements of the degree-granting division of the campus from which they expect to graduate.

For detailed information about applying for intercampus transfers, see the Office of Admissions Intercampus Transfer page.

Transfers from Other Colleges and Universities

Indiana University welcomes students who wish to transfer from other colleges or universities. Students who have completed less than one full year of academic coursework will be considered for admission into the University Division. Students who meet the College's Entrance Requirements may be granted admission to the College of Arts and Sciences. Note: No more than 60 credit hours earned in accredited junior colleges may be applied toward a degree.

Applications for transfer admission are evaluated on the basis of a number of factors, including the following:

  • A minimum grade point average of 2.000 on a 4.000 scale. A higher GPA may be required for certain majors. In addition, nonresidents of Indiana will be expected to have considerably higher grade point averages for consideration.
  • A minimum grade point average of 2.000 earned in courses that could apply toward the intended major.
  • A high school record showing satisfactory entrance units.
  • Evidence of good standing at the institution last attended.
  • Official transcripts of credits and grades earned in all subjects.

Acceptance of credit from other institutions will be determined by the Office of Admissions. The applicability of credit toward degree requirements in the College will be determined by the Dean of the College. Only credits earned at Indiana University will count toward a student's cumulative and major grade point averages. Courses from other colleges and universities transfer as credit only.