Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Dr. Bill Ramos for academic advising.
Director, Aquatics Minor
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
wramos [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor is jointly offered by the Department of Kinesiology and the Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies. It is intended for students in degree programs who wish to add an aquatics specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
- successful completion of the required 12 credit hour core with a minimum 2.5 core GPA.
Required Core Courses (12 cr. with a minimum 2.5 core GPA)
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-K 427 Administration, Maintenance, and Construction of Aquatic Facilities (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 485 Practicum in Physical Education and Athletics* (3 cr.) or SPH-R 395 Practicum in Parks and Recreation* (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 321 Aquatic Management (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 414 Legal Aspects of Recreation (3 cr.) or SPH-M 411 Legal Issues in Sport Settings (3 cr.) or SPH-R 434 Legal Issues in Sport Settings (3 cr.)
*(Appropriate practicum to be assigned through faculty within minor)
Electives (3 cr.):
Complete 3 credits of electives from any of the following areas:
- BUS-Z 302 Managing and Behavior in Organizations (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 206 Recreational Sports Programming (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 230 Recreational Sports Programming (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 311 Management in Recreation, Park, and Tourism (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 426 Human Resource Management in Leisure Services (3 cr.)
- SPH-S 151 Legal Aspects of Safety (3 cr.)
Aquatic Instruction and Coaching Education:
- SPH-A 367 Coaching of Swimming and Diving (2 cr.)
- SPH-I 475 Lifeguard Certification (1 cr.)
- SPH-I 477 Water Safety Instructor (1 cr.)
- SPH-K 464 Small Boat Sailing Instructor (3 cr.) (P: Permission of Instructor)
- SPH-K 472 Scuba Instructor Development (3 cr.) (P: Permission of instructor)
- SPH-K 473 Laboratory Teaching in the Physical Education Program
- SPH-H 401 Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)-Ambulance (3 cr.) (P: H 160)
- SPH-H 404 Emergency Medical Technician Lab (1 cr.)