Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Janet Donley for academic advising.
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
jdonley [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the BS in Recreation degree program with a major in Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management, who wish to add this specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
(Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.)
Event Planning Core Courses (12 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
(Note: No substitutions allowed.)
- SPH-T 201 Tourism and Commercial Recreation (3 cr.)
- SPH-T 311 Convention Management and Meeting Planning (3 cr.)
- SPH-T 323 Festival and Event Management (3 cr.)
- SPH-T 410 Event Planning and Program Development (3 cr.)
Event Planning Elective Courses (3 cr.)
Complete one course from the following list:
- SPH-R 230 Recreational Sport Programming (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 412 Marketing for Leisure Services (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 413 Fiscal Management of Leisure Services Organizations (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 425 Strategic Planning for Recreation, Park, and Tourism Organizations (3 cr.)
- SPH-T 301 Sustainable Tourism (3 cr.)
- SPH-T 411 International Meeting Planning (3 cr.)