Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Shannan Stryjewski for academic advising.
Department of Applied Health Science
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
sstryjew [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs who wish to add a youth development specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 16 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Youth Development Core Courses (10 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-F 150 Introduction to Life Span Human Development (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-F 180 Survey of Practice in Youth and Family (3 cr.)
- SPH-L 102 Participant Leadership Development (1 cr.)
- SPH-R 311 Management in Recreation, Park, and Tourism (3 cr.)
Youth Development Elective Courses (6 cr.)
Compete two of the following courses:
- EDUC-P 313 Adolescents in a Learning Community (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 255 Human Sexuality (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-F 258 Marriage and Family Interaction (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-F 341 Effects of Divorce on Children (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 345 Parent-Child Relations (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 346 Human Development I: Conception through Early Childhood (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 347 Human Development II: Middle Childhood through Adolescence (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 417 African American and Latino Families (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 453 Family Life Education (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 457 Stress and Resilience in the Family (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 458 Family Law and Policy (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 210 Inclusion in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism (3 cr.)
+ Courses followed by the S&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, social and historical studies requirement for bachelor's degree students.