Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Paulene Hardy for academic advising.
Department of Applied Health Science
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
pahardy [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the B.S. in Public Health degree program, who wish to add a health studies specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Health Studies Core Courses (9 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
- HPER-H 160 First Aid and Emergency Care (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 263 Personal Health (3 cr.) +S&H
- HPER-H 319 Global Health Promotion (3 cr.)
Health Studies Elective Concentration Requirement (6 cr.)
Compete six credits from one of the following specific concentrations. Three credits of the six must be a 300 or 400 level course.
- HPER-C 315 Health in the Later Years (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 341 Effects of Divorce on Children (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 345 Parent-Child Relations (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 150 Children's Health Up to Age 5 (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 220 Death and Dying (3 cr.) +S&H
- HPER-N 220 Nutrition for Health (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 234 Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 235 Obesity and Health (3 cr.) +S&H
- HPER-H 318 Drug Use in American Society (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 320 The Nature of Cancer (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 418 The Nature of Addiction (3 cr.)
Intentional and Unintentional Injuries
- HPER-H 174 Prevention of Violence in American Society (3 cr.) +S&H
- HPER-H 180 Stress Prevention and Management (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 401 Emergency Medical Technician (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 460 Practicum in First Aid Instruction (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 217 Safety: A Personal Focus (3 cr.)
- HPER-C 440 Research in Public Health Education (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 255 Human Sexuality (3 cr.) +S&H
- HPER-H 305 Women's Health (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 306 Men's Health (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 326 AIDS and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (3 cr.)
+ Courses followed by the S&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, social and historical studies requirement for bachelor's degree students.