Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Janet Donley for academic advising.
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
jdonley [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the BS in Recreation degree program with a major in Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management, who wish to add this specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
(Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.)
Event Planning Core Courses (12 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
(Note: No substitutions allowed.)
- HPER-R 236 Tourism and Commercial Recreation (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 351 Convention Management and Meeting Planning (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 353 Festival and Event Management (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 430 Event Planning and Program Development (3 cr.)
Event Planning Elective Courses (3 cr.)
Complete one course from the following list:
- HPER-R 206 Recreational Sport Programming (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 350 Sustainable Tourism (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 422 Marketing for Leisure Services (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 451 Fiscal Management of Leisure Services Organizations (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 455 International Meeting Planning (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 468 Strategic Planning for Recreation, Park, and Tourism Organizations (3 cr.)