String Technical Degree
Associate of Science, String Instrument Technology
Entrance to curriculum only with permission. A student in this program must enroll through the Jacobs School of Music for a minimum of two semesters.
String Instrument Technology
30 credit hours
- U470 Violin Repair I-II-III-IV (6-6-6-6 cr.)
- U274-U275 History of Violin Making I-II (3-3 cr.)
- Graduation examination
X091 String Repair Technical Crew required each semester of enrollment. A minimum of four semesters is required.
12 credit hours
Option I: Upper strings selected from S110 Violin Elective/Secondary or S120 Viola Elective/Secondary (2-2-2-2 cr.), and lower strings selected from S130 Cello Elective/ Secondary or S140 Double Bass Elective/ Secondary (2-2 cr.).
Option II: Lower strings selected from S130 Cello Elective/Secondary or S140 Double Bass Elective/Secondary (2-2-2-2 cr.), and upper strings selected from S110 Violin Elective/Secondary or S120 Viola Elective/Secondary (2-2 cr.).
Core Music Courses
6 credit hours
- Z101 Music for the Listener I (3 cr.) and Z111 Introduction to Music Theory (3 cr.)
- Or, for students with sufficient music background, T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) and T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.).
17 credit hours
- English Composition (3 cr.) ENG W131 or W170
- Arts and Humanities (3 cr.)
- Social and Historical Studies (3 cr.)
- Natural and Mathematical Sciences (3 cr.)
- Electives 5 credit hours selected from general education course list or foreign language courses.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 60, excluding major ensemble and I400.