Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Performance, Voice
X070 University Choral Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and summer term in which a student is registered for any course, music or non-music.
V400 Voice. 3 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed (students who have completed a total of 24 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit hours to 2). Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, junior recital, senior recital.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
All students must pass a keyboard proficiency examination. Voice majors must take an examination for placement in P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.); P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.); P131 Piano Class 3, Music Majors (2 cr.); P141 Piano Class 4, Music Majors (2 cr.); or P100 Piano Elective/Secondary (2 cr.) and continue study each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) or equivalent
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.), T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Other Music Courses
16 credit hours
- M431 Song Literature I (3 cr.)
- M432 Song Literature II (3 cr.)
- V120 English Diction for Singers (1 cr.)
- V150 Italian Diction for Singers (1 cr.)
- V250 German Diction for Singers (1 cr.)
- V350 French Diction for Singers (1 cr.)
- Electives: 6 credit hours, including a minimum of 2 credit hours in pedagogy courses such as E130 Introduction to Music Learning (2 cr.) or E494 Vocal Pedagogy (3 cr.). Remaining electives to be chosen from undergraduate courses for music majors. Secondary performance study allowed on an instrument other than one's major. Secondary piano (P100) allowed only after completion of the keyboard proficiency.
See General Education Common Ground requirements.
World Languages & Cultures fulfilled by foreign language requirement:
Foreign Language 13-24 credit hours or proficiency, equivalent to two semesters of first-year language study.
- Italian: FRIT M100 Elementary Italian I (4 cr.) and M150 Elementary Italian II (4 cr.); or M115 Accelerated Elementary Italian (4 cr.).
- French: FRIT F100 Elementary French I (4 cr.) and F150 Elementary French II: Language and Culture (4 cr.); or F115 Accelerated Elementary French (4 cr.).
- German: GER G100 Beginning German I (4 cr.) and G150 Beginning German: Language and Culture II (4 cr.); or G105 Accelerated Elementary German I (5 cr.).
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.