Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies
X040 University Instrumental Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and summer term in which a student is registered for any course, music or non–music.
O450 Jazz Chamber Ensemble (Jazz Combo 1-1-1 cr.; Jazz Combo or Latin Jazz Ensemble 1 cr.).
Minimum of 3 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed (students who have completed 24 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit to 2 credit hours). Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, senior recital.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
The sequence of piano courses required for all jazz majors who are not piano majors is:
- P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.)
- P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.)
- P201 Jazz Piano Class 1 (2 cr.)
- P202 Jazz Piano Class 2 (2 cr.)
Entering students take an examination placing them into the appropriate course in the sequence. Continued study is required each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination, administered by the jazz department, is passed. The keyboard proficiency examination is also required of jazz piano majors.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) or equivalent
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Jazz Major Courses
25-33 credit hours
- E470 Pedagogy of Jazz (2 cr.)
- M395 Contemporary Jazz and Soul Music (3 cr.)
- O311 Fundamentals of Jazz Theory (1 cr.)
- O316 Jazz Arranging 1 (2 cr.)
- O317 Jazz Arranging 2 (2 cr.)
- O318 Styles and Analysis of Jazz 1 (2 cr.)
- O319 Styles and Analysis of Jazz 2 (2 cr.)
- O321 Jazz Improvisation 1 (2 cr.)
- O322 Jazz Improvisation 2 (3 cr.) is required for jazz majors excluding jazz bass majors.
- O323 Jazz Improvisation 3 (3 cr.) is required for jazz majors excluding jazz bass and percussion majors.
- O324 Jazz Improvisation 4 (3 cr.) is required for jazz majors excluding jazz percussion majors.
- O325 Rhythm Section Literature and Performance Practice (2-2-2-2 cr.) is required for jazz bass, guitar, percussion, and piano majors.
See General Education Common Ground requirements.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non–music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.