Designed for top-notch students passionate about journalism, the IU School of Journalism’s Media Scholars program selects 10 to 15 high-performing students per entering class who have demonstrated excellence in academics, media involvement, and character.
Media Scholars participate in a wide array of media-related activities:
- Access to guest speakers
- Discussion sessions with special guest professionals
- Meeting alumni and working journalists at local media outlets
- Dinners with School of Journalism professors and deans
- Leadership and one-on-one mentoring with a faculty member
- Opportunity to be assigned a student mentor from within the group and opportunity to mentor younger students as an upperclassman
Students with an interest in journalism who submit a Selective Scholarship Application to Indiana University will automatically be considered for this program. High school students who apply to IU by November 1, have indicated an interest in journalism on their application to IU and who meet any one of the following criteria will be invited to complete the Selective Scholarship Application.
- Score of 1270 SAT or above (verbal and math)
- Score of 29 ACT or above
- Have a GPA of 3.8 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Are in the top 10 percent of their graduating classes
A completed Selective Scholarship Application is required to be considered for the Media Scholars Program.