Ernie Pyle Scholars
Approximately twenty students from each incoming freshman class will be admitted to an exciting honors program and directly admitted to the School of Journalism. The program includes a rich array of small honors classes and fully paid media trips around the country as part of the academic program. Honors students, named the Ernie Pyle Scholars, can also intern in a British media organization while studying abroad in London between their sophomore and junior years.
Students with an interest in journalism who submit a Selective Scholarship Application to Indiana University will automatically be considered for this program. A separate application is not required. Students can participate in both the university Hutton Honors College and the School of Journalism Honors Program.
Students admitted to the Ernie Pyle Scholars program will be required to:
- Complete a minimum of three honors courses in journalism.
- Participate in student, nonprofit, or professional media all four years.
- Participate in two journalism-sponsored events each semester.
- Attend the special honors travel events (London optional).
- In senior year, complete the honors capstone course, an independent honors thesis or an independent honors project.
- Earn a grade of C or better in all Journalism courses.
- Maintain a 3.2 cumulative GPA.