IUPUI Bulletins » Schools » purdue-science » Policies & Procedures » Academic Regulations

Policies & Procedures

Academic Regulations

See the Office of the Registrar's website for general information about grades. The following policies are specific to the School of Science.

Pass/Fail Option  During the four years of their undergraduate program, all undergraduates in good standing (with an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher) may enroll in up to eight elective courses to be taken with a grade of P or F. The Pass/Fail option is open for a maximum of two courses per year, including summer sessions. For this option, the year is defined as August 15 to August 15. The Pass/Fail option form is available in School of Science departmental offices and in the School of Science, LD 222.

The course selected for Pass/Fail grading must be an elective. It may not be used to satisfy any of the school area requirements, nor may it be counted as a part of the student’s major. If the course is at the 300-level or higher, with a grade of P, the course may apply to the 32 credit hour School of Science residency requirement. After the form is submitted to the Office of the Registrar, a grade of P cannot be subsequently changed to a grade of A, B, C, or D.

For additional information, visit the Student Central website: https://studentcentral.iupui.edu/grades-progress/pass-fail.html

Withdrawal for Undergraduate and Graduate Students 

Students may officially withdraw from classes without penalty during the first half of a semester or session if they secure the approval of their advisor; a grade of W (Withdrawal) is recorded on the final grade report. Students may withdraw from classes during the second half of a semester or session only under extraordinary circumstances. In such cases, the student must secure the approval of their advisor, the instructor of the course, and the dean of their school; the instructor may assign a grade of W or F. A written justification from a doctor, member of the clergy, advisor, etc., must be presented indicating that the student could not have withdrawn earlier. The grade so assigned is recorded on the final grade report. The necessary form for withdrawal from a course is available in School of Science departmental offices and in the School of Science, LD 222. To maintain integrity as to how students are accountable in this area, the policy for School of Science students is considered to be the policy for all students served by the School, regardless of academic unit or school.

Students who alter their schedules, whether by personal incentive or by departmental directive, must follow correct withdrawal procedures. Students who do not follow these procedures risk jeopardizing their record by incurring a failing grade in a course not properly dropped, or they risk not receiving credit for work done in a course that has not been properly added.

This policy applies to students in both undergraduate and graduate programs.

Grade Replacement Policy for Undergraduate Students Only (this policy is not available to graduate students) 

The Grade Replacement Policy is available only to undergraduate students. This policy does not apply to graduate students. It may be exercised for a maximum of 15 credit hours, no more than two times for a given course, with each attempted replacement counting toward the 15 credit hour limit. Any grade may be replaced with the last grade earned for the course, as long as the most recent grade is equal to or higher than the grade being replaced. The replaced grade will then be excluded from the cumulative grade point average. However, the course listing and the replaced grade will remain on the student’s academic record with an “X” notation indicating that the grade is excluded from the cumulative grade point average.

The policy became effective beginning with the Fall 1996 semester, and any courses being used to replace an earlier grade must have been taken in the Fall of 1996 or later. Grades previously granted FX will be honored and will count toward the 15 credit hour limit. Once invoked, a student may not subsequently request reversal of the grade replacement granted for a given course. Also, this policy is not available for graduate students or students seeking any second undergraduate degree. A science major interested in the Grade Replacement Policy should contact the School of Science, LD 222.  For more information about the policy, visit https://studentcentral.iupui.edu/grades-progress/grade-replacement.html

Special Credit
Special credit by examination, by credentials, and/or by experience may be awarded in order to help qualified students earn their degrees more quickly. Each instructional department determines which of its courses are available for special credit and establishes procedures to determine student eligibility, administer evaluations for special credit, and grade students. The evaluations are as comprehensive as those given in the course. Credit earned by examination will be assigned an A (highest passing grade) or S (passing grade). Credit earned by credentials and/or experience will be assigned an S. An S (passing) grade is considered to be equivalent to performance at a minimum grade level of C.

Responsibility for initiating a request for special credit in a specific course normally rests with the student. To find out if special credit is warranted, the student should consider meeting first with the department chair, advisor, or course instructor.

For additional information, refer to the front part of this bulletin under “Special Credit" or go to the following website: https://facultystaffcentral.iupui.edu/enrollment/special-credit.html

Auditing Courses

University policy permits the auditing of courses, but audited courses may not be retaken later for academic credit. Written permission from the instructor to audit a class must be obtained before the student attempts to register. See the Student Central website for general information about auditing courses.

Incomplete Grade Process for Undergraduate and Graduate Students

You can ask your instructor for a grade of Incomplete if you satisfactorily competed a substantial portion of your coursework, but extenuating circumstances during the term prevented you from completing all coursework as of the end of the semester.

Your instructor has the right to set a specific date, up to one year, by which you must complete all unfinished work

In some cases, your instructor may recommend or require you to attend another term (or portion of a term) of a course to remove your I. In this case, don’t register for the course a second time. Instead, make arrangements with your instructor to sit in on the course as required. Note that sitting in on a course does not count as part of your full-time or part-time load for financial aid purposes or for loan deferments. If your original instructor isn’t available or is no longer with IUPUI, contact the chair of the school or department that offers the course for assistance.

Once you’ve completed the work the instructor will change your I to the appropriate letter grade. You can track the progress of your request or check your academic record for grade information.

If you fail to complete the coursework and turn it in to your instructor in the time allowed, your I will automatically become an F.

See the IUPUI Student Central website for information: https://studentcentral.iupui.edu,/grades-progress/incompletes.html

This policy applies to students in both undergraduate and graduate programs.

Review of Final Grade in a Course

A student has the right to request and receive a review of the student’s final grade in a course. However, the request for such a review must be made in a timely manner; that is, within one year of the completion of the course. This policy applies to students in both undergraduate and graduate programs.

Petition for Grade Change

Faculty Petition  A faculty member may request a change of grade for a student. This request can be honored only after approval of the department chair and the School of Science Executive Director for Academic and Student Affairs.

Student Petition
  In certain cases, a student may request a change of grade. Students should contact the School of Science, LD 222, for information about procedures and time limits for applicable cases. This option is primarily used by undergraduate students and is generally not available for graduate students. Information is available at https://studentcentral.iupui.edu/grades-progress/grade-changes/index.html.

Residency Requirements

For undergraduate students: Residence at IUPUI for at least two semesters and completion, while at IUPUI, of at least 32 credit hours of work in courses at the 300 level or higher are required.

At least four courses totaling a minimum of 12 credit hours in the major subject must be completed at IUPUI.

With the approval of the executive Director of Academic and Student Affairs or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, students who have had at least four semesters of resident study may complete up to 15 credit hours of the senior year at another approved college or university. In order to transfer back to IUPUI, a transfer course msut be a grade of C or higher. Students should be aware that completing coursework at another college or university may result in a postponment of their graduation for at least one semester.

For graduate students: At least 30 academic credits are required for the master’s degree and at least 90 academic credits are required for the Ph.D. Some programs may require more credits. The maximum number of didactic transfer credits allowed is 12 hours, but some programs may allow fewer. The student’s major department and the Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education determine acceptability of transfer credits from another college or university. No work may be transferred from another institution unless the grade is a B or higher.

Students must meet graduate school resident study requirements. At least one-half of the total credit hours used to satisfy a Purdue master’s degree must be earned while in residence at IUPUI. At least 30 credit hours of IU graduate work must be completed while enrolled on a campus of Indiana University to satisfy the master’s degree. At least one-third of the total credit hours used to satisfy degree requirements must be earned (while registered for doctoral study) in continuous residence on the IUPUI campus. The major department should be consulted for other more specific rules.

Candidates for Baccalaureate Degrees

Students are considered to be candidates in good standing for baccalaureate degrees awarded by the School of Science when they have been admitted as regular students by the Undergraduate Admissions Center, when their last semester’s grade point average is not below a 2.00, and when their cumulative grade point average is not below this same level (2.00).

Degree Grade Point Average

The School of Science computes a school grade point average, which is the basis for recommending the awarding of a degree. This grade point average is computed at the completion of the degree program. Only the most recent grade in repeated courses counts in computing the school grade point average for the purpose of graduation. Remedial courses and courses that overlap are also excluded. Other course exclusions may apply.

Double Major

A double major is awarded to students who complete the requirements for two Purdue Bachelor of Science degree programs or two Purdue Bachelor of Arts degree programs in the School of Science. Students who plan to double major must have their programs approved by both major departments and the academic dean or director. A form to declare a double major can be obtained from the School of Science, LD 222. A student declaring a double major must satisfy the departmental requirements for the second major as stated in the School of Science bulletin in effect when the second major is approved.

Double Degree

A student may be awarded two degrees by completing bachelor’s degree programs from two different schools at IUPUI or by simultaneously completing two baccalaureate major programs from the School of Science, one leading to a Purdue Bachelor of Arts degree and the other leading to a Purdue Bachelor of Science degree, or one leading to a Purdue degree and the other leading to an Indiana University degree. A student who plans to pursue a double degree must receive approval from the two major departments and the academic deans of the schools awarding the degrees. A form to petition for a double degree can be obtained from the School of Science, LD 222. A student who declares a double degree, and who is accepted by a department in the School of Science for the additional degree program, must satisfy the requirements for that program as stated in the School of Science bulletin in effect when the additional degree program is approved.

Change of Major within the School of Science

A student who desires to change majors within the School of Science should petition the School of Science by completing the Internal Admissions Application. If the petition is approved, the student may be placed under the bulletin in effect during the time of admission into the new major.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

Normally the holder of a bachelor’s degree who wishes to pursue a further educational goal is encouraged to consider a graduate degree program. However, a student interested in pursuing a second degree should apply through the IUPUI Undergraduate Admissions Center, Campus Center Room 255, 420 University Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN 46202. Further information and application forms may be obtained at this address, by calling (317) 274-4591, or online at https://admissions.iupui.edu/.

In order to be admitted to the degree program, the applicant must meet admission requirements of the School of Science and of the department. If admitted, the candidate will be placed under the bulletin in effect during the time of admission into the second-degree program.

Degrees Awarded with Distinction

IUPUI recognizes outstanding performance in course work by awarding bachelor’s degrees with distinction. Purdue degrees are awarded with distinction and highest distinction. Indiana University degrees are awarded with distinction, high distinction, and highest distinction.

To award graduation with distinction for baccalaureate degrees, there must be at least 20 students in the respective pool of Spring semester candidates.

To be eligible for graduation with distinction, candidates must complete all the requirements of their degree programs. Additionally, the following conditions apply:

  • A candidate for a baccalaureate degree with distinction must have a minimum of 65 credit hours of course work from Purdue University or Indiana University applicable to the graduation index (degree grade point average) on record.
  • The minimum graduation index for distinction (Purdue and IU degrees) shall be no less than the 90th percentile of the graduation indexes of all the graduates in the school for the spring semester, provided that the index is at least 3.30;
  • Of those who qualify for distinction under these rules for the Spring semester, the six-tenths of the baccalaureate graduates having the highest graduation indexes shall be designated as graduating with high distinction (IU degrees only);
  • Of those who qualify for distinction under these rules for the Spring semester, the three-tenths of the baccalaureate graduates having the highest graduation indexes shall be designated as graduating with highest distinction (Purdue and IU degrees);
  • The minimum graduation indexes determined for the Spring semester for graduation with distinction, high distinction, and highest distinction shall be applied for graduation with those respective levels of distinction for the subsequent Summer sessions and Fall semester.