IUPUI Bulletins » Schools » IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy at IUPUI » Policies & Procedures » Graduate Policies

Graduate Policies

Academic Probation
Only IUPUI grades will be considered in determining probation and dismissal. Students are placed on academic probation when their cumulative grade point average falls below 3.0 (B), and they remain on probation until the cumulative grade point average is 3.0 (B) or higher. Students on probation are encouraged to talk with their faculty advisor, or a counselor in the IUPUI Counseling and Psychological Services, (317) 274-2548, to determine how they may become more successful in their studies. Students on probation must schedule an appointment with their faculty advisors before registering. Students without a faculty advisor should go to the Office of Student Services.

Students who have two consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions) with semester grade point averages below 3.0 (B) may be placed on probation at the discretion of the Director of Student Services regardless of their cumulative grade point average, since they are failing to make progress toward a degree.

Students will be dismissed from the IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy when they have a cumulative grade point average lower than 3.0 (B) and a semester grade point average of lower than 3.0 (B) for two semesters. Students eligible for dismissal will be notified in writing that they have been dismissed and that they must remain out of school at least one semester. The letter will also inform such students that they will be withdrawn from classes for which they have registered. Once dismissed, students must petition for readmission. (See ''Readmission.'')

Students who have been dismissed a second time must remain out of school for at least two semesters and petition for readmission. (See ''Readmission.'')

A third dismissal is final.

Any student who has been dismissed from the IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy must petition for readmission. A Petition for Readmission form may be obtained from Student Services.

We follow the campus policy found here.

Post Auto W
We follow the campus policy found here.

Petition for Grade Change
Either students or faculty members may petition for a change in course grade.

A student desiring a change of grade should first discuss the situation with the instructor. If the instructor agrees, and no more than one full semester has elapsed since the course was finished, the faculty member must file a Grade Change Authorization Form with the Associate Dean. If more than one full semester has elapsed, the faculty member still files the Grade Change Authorization Form, but the form may be sent to the Teaching and Learning Assessment Committee, depending on the reason given for the change of grade. Campus policy limits petitions for change of grades to five years after the course.

If the instructor and student do not agree on a change of grade, or if the instructor cannot be located, the student should discuss the matter with the chairperson, director, or coordinator of the department or program in which the course was offered. Following that, the student may petition the Teaching and Learning Assessment Committee directly. The petition must include (1) a statement of an attempted but unsuccessful interview with the faculty member and chair, and (2) supporting evidence for the petition. The decision of the Teaching and Learning Assessment Committee is final and there are no additional avenues of appeal.

Last updated: May 2021