Academic Policies and Procedures


Student Grievance

All academic personnel (faculty, part-time instructors, and advisors) are expected to conform to the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct. Students who feel that they have been treated unfairly by a faculty member may lodge a complaint by following these steps:

  1. Discuss the matter with the faculty member or instructor.
  2. If step 1 fails to resolve the situation, discuss the matter with the chairperson of the department or the coordinator of the program in which the faculty member is employed. The departmental chairperson will discuss it with the faculty member and seek some resolution.
  3. If step 2 fails, the student may discuss the matter or file a written, signed complaint with the dean. Anonymous complaints will not be entertained. A copy of any written complaint will be forwarded to the faculty member, who may respond in writing.
  4. When warranted, the dean may refer a written complaint and the faculty member’s response to the Faculty Affairs Committee for further investigation and review.
  5. The Faculty Affairs Committee will evaluate the complaint on the basis of university policy and may recommend to the dean that the instructor be sanctioned. If the committee finds the complaint to be unfounded, a letter to that effect may be placed in the student’s file.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.