Undergraduate Academic Programs


Hospitality Services


Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.

Students considering this minor may visit Janet Donley for academic advising.

Janet Donley
Academic Advisor
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
SPH 133
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN  47405-7109
(812) 855-3100
jdonley [at] indiana [dot] edu


This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the BS in Recreation degree program with a major in Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management, who wish to add this specialty to their studies. This minor requires:

  • successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
  • a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.

(Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.)

Hospitality Services Core Courses (12 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:

  • SPH-T 201 Tourism and Commercial Recreation (3 cr.)
  • SPH-T 203 Introduction to Lodging Management (3 cr.)
  • SPH-T 321 Resort Management (3 cr.)
  • SPH-T 431 Green Operations in Hospitality Services (3 cr.)

Hospitality Services Elective Course (3 cr.)
Complete one course from the following list:

  • SPH-O 412 Ecotourism (3 cr.)
  • SPH-R 412 Marketing for Leisure Services (3 cr.)
  • SPH-R 425 Strategic Planning for Recreation, Park, and Tourism Organizations (3 cr.)
  • SPH-T 301 Sustainable Tourism (3 cr.)

Academic Bulletins