Degree Requirements

Teacher Licensure

The Indiana University programs for the preparation of teachers meet the standards of the Rules for Educator Preparation and Accountability (REPA), the policies of the Office of Educator Effectiveness and Licensing (OEEL), and the Indiana Department of Education. These programs are also accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Higher Learning Commission. This provides added benefits to students and graduates in terms of transfer of credit, recognition of degrees, and reciprocity of teacher licenses.

Any teaching assignment as a professional teacher in a state-approved school requires a teaching license based upon the recommendation of the teacher preparation institution. An institutional recommendation is based upon meeting the REPA standards, OEEL policies required for the licensure program, and successful performance on all required assessments. Under the Licensure Framework of OEEL, the teaching license will reflect the standards for which the candidate has demonstrated competency through the completion of a degree program. The license will state the content area(s) that the candidate is licensed to teach and the school setting(s) in which the candidate is licensed to teach. Individuals may add content areas to their license by completing specified testing requirements. See the Indiana Department of Education website for specific information.

Students should apply for the Indiana initial practitioner license through the Indiana Department of Education’s Licensing Verification and Information System (LVIS) no earlier than the completion of all academic requirements and always after the completion of all licensing examinations. Applicants for teacher licensing in other states requiring the recommendation of Indiana University must submit such forms to the Licensing Office located in the Office of Teacher Education (ED 1000) (

According to Indiana statute, candidates for licensure must provide evidence of current CPR/AED certification (through state approved agencies) and documentation that they have completed suicide prevention training (through state approved agencies) prior to license recommendation.

In 2018, the IDOE and OEEL provided additional guidance reagrding how to license elementary education program completers based on REPA 3 guidelines. The School of Education faculty approved the guidelines of adding an academic minor to a elementary generalist license in the following areas: Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English, Studio Art, Geography, Geology, History, Mathematics, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology and World Languages (French, German and Spanish). Denoting these areas on a license will reflect additional depth of knowledge in the subject area as part of the teacher's professional portfolio but will not lead to a licensable subject area.

The Initial Practitioner license issued by the OEEL is valid for two years in Indiana. The beginning teacher must successfully complete 40 professional growth points (PGPs) after verifying two years of full-time teaching experience.

At that time, a Practitioner license is awarded, which is valid for five years. Renewal of the Practitioner license and awarding of the Accomplished Practitioner license are achieved through a program of continuing professional growth program based on the OEEL standards.

A student who has earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and who wants to be recommended for a teaching license by IUB, or to add a teaching area to a license, must be evaluated and advised for admission to a postgraduate program by the Office of Teacher Education and must meet the requirements of the approved university teacher education program. More information on graduate-level initial teacher licensing can be obtained from the Secondary Transition to Teaching Program or the Secondary Community of Teachers Program.

For students not in the School of Education, teacher licensure and degree conferral are two separate processes. In Secondary and All-grades programs, students may earn licensure through the School of Education while enrolled and earning a baccalaureate degree in any of the following schools of the University:

  • College of Arts and Sciences 
  • Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture and Design
  • Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies
  • Jacob School of Music
  • Media School 

Candidates outside the School of Education must meet both the degree-granting school's graduation requirements and the licensure requirements for their teacher education program. That is, students must meet GenEd, professional education, and content area course requirements, and any other specific program requirements in the area in which they want to be certified, as outlined in this bulletin. They must also have completed a minimum of 120 credit hours. In addition, these students must satisfy all the requirements for the degree, as stipulated by the degree-granting school. It is strongly recommended that students in these programs see an academic advisor in each of the schools every semester before registering.

All undergraduate students majoring in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Elementary/Exceptional Needs must be enrolled in the School of Education. These students will receive both the degree and recommendation for licensure from the School of Education.

Academic Bulletins