Policies & Procedures

Grading Policies

Pass/Fail (P/F) and Satisfactory/Fail (S/F) Grades

A grade of Pass (P) is not counted in grade averages; a grade of F is included. A grade of P cannot be changed subsequently to a grade of A, B, C, or D. Students interested in taking classes under the Pass/Fail (P/F) option should obtain Pass/Fail option forms from the School of Education Recorder in ED 1000. All students should fill out the Pass/Fail option forms in full, obtain the appropriate signatures, and return them to the Recorder by the published date. (See Pass/Fail Option Deadline for the appropriate academic term in the Official Calendar for more information.) Education majors can choose the Pass/Fail option for a maximum of two elective courses and for a total of 6 credit hours per academic year. 

The Satisfactory/Fail (S/F) grading option is initiated by the professor teaching a particular course. The professor must obtain permission from the dean of the faculties to grade the class on a Satisfactory/Fail basis, and the class must be notified during the first class session that the course will be graded on a Satisfactory/Fail basis.  The grade of Satisfactory (S) carries no grade points and consequently is not considered in calculating grade point averages. The grade of Fail (F) is used in GPA calculations.

Academic Bulletins