Academic Policies & Procedures

The following academic regulations of the O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs are applicable to all graduate programs. Additional campus-specific policies may also apply.

Confidentiality of Student Records

In accordance with Indiana University regulations, student records are confidential and are available to other persons only under specific conditions as outlined in university regulations.

Student Rights

Rights of students are included in a handbook available on each campus. Due process is followed in the event of disciplinary or other actions.

Student Responsibility

Students are responsible for planning their own academic programs and for meeting the requirements for their degree or certificate programs. Faculty and academic advisors may assist students in meeting their responsibilities.

Applicability of Degree and Certificate Requirements

Students may choose to complete either the specific degree and certificate requirements published in the appropriate bulletin at the time of entry into the university or those in the bulletin current at the time of graduation.

Residency Requirements—Master’s and Certificate Programs

The campus at which a student completes the majority of required course work will certify and award the degree or certificate, provided the campus is authorized to grant that degree or certificate. The student must have been admitted by the O'Neill SPEA campus awarding the degree or certificate.

Residency Requirements—Doctoral Programs

Students must obtain prior approval from the O'Neill SPEA director of their specific doctoral program for any courses they propose to take at another Indiana University campus. The director of the Ph.D. program follows the policies of the University Graduate School relating to work done at Indiana University campuses other than Bloomington.

Academic Standing

Students are considered to be in good standing during any semester in which their academic grade point average is at least 3.0 (B) for both their last semester’s course work and for the cumulative average of all course work completed. Only courses with grades of C (2.0) or above may be counted toward degree requirements. However, grades below C are used in computing the cumulative grade point average, even if a course is repeated and a higher grade is earned. Students must be in good academic standing in order to graduate.

Academic Probation

Students are placed on probation following a semester in which their cumulative or semester grade point average falls below 3.0. Students on probation or admitted provisionally are required to attain an average of at least 3.0 for all work completed by the end of the next semester. Failure to do so is cause for dismissal.

Grading System

The official grading system of the O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs is as follows:

A =4.0 D+ =1.3
A– = 3.7 D =1.0
B+ = 3.3 D– = 0.7
B= 3.0 I = Incomplete
B– = 2.7 F = Failed
C+ = 2.3 W = Withdrawn
C= 2.0 R = Deferred
C– = 1.7 NR = No grade

Only grades of C (2.0) or better can be used toward graduation requirements.


A grade of Incomplete must be removed within the time specified by the instructor of the course; if not, the grade automatically changes to an F one calendar year after the Incomplete was given.


Because deadlines for withdrawal from courses may vary by campus and/or school, students should check with the current campus Schedule of Classes to verify deadlines and procedures.

Intercampus Transfer

Students enrolled in the O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs at any campus of Indiana University may transfer to O'Neill on another campus, provided they are in good standing.

Transfer of Credit

A maximum of 9 credit hours of appropriate graduate course work with grades of B (3.0) or higher may be transferred from degree programs of other academic units within Indiana University or other accredited colleges and universities and applied to O'Neill master’s­ level degree programs. The transfer must be approved by the appropriate graduate program director.

Credit Earned in IU Nondegree Status

Not more than 12 hours of graduate credit completed as a nondegree student may be credited toward an O'Neill graduate degree. Not more than 9 hours of O'Neill graduate credit earned as a nondegree student may be credited toward O'Neill certificate programs.

Course Waivers

Requests for waiver of specific courses or requirements on the basis of previous course work are to be submitted in writing to the appropriate faculty member or program director.

Program Deviations

Requests for deviation from O'Neill SPEA programs or school requirements are granted only by written approval from an academic advisor and a campus or program director. Disposition by the O'Neill SPEA program or campus director is final.

Minimum Credit Hours

To qualify for the M.P.A. or M.S.E.S. degree, students must complete a minimum of 24 of the required 48-51 credit hours of graduate O'Neill SPEA courses at Indiana University. Credit granted to transfer students and those exercising the Mid-Career Option or the Prior Professional Experience does not reduce the number of courses taken in O'Neill SPEA below this 24 credit hour minimum.

Academic Integrity

Academic integrity requires that students take credit only for their own ideas and efforts. Misconduct, including cheating, fabrication, plagiarism, interference, or facilitating academic dishonesty, is prohibited because it undermines the bonds of trust and cooperation among members of this community and between us and those who may depend on our knowledge and integrity. Complete details are contained in the Indiana University Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.

Academic Appeals

Students may appeal academic decisions made by O'Neill faculty members. Attempts to resolve such issues should be made first at the class/instructor level. If necessary, written appeals should be submitted to relevant program directors. Appeals must be submitted within 14 days of the final grade being posted. Please contact the Master's Program Office for additional details on the appeal process.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.