Departments & Programs
Department of Physics
For students who desire an interdisciplinary knowledge of physics and biology pursuant to a career in medicine or biophysics. The program meets typical medical school entrance requirements.
First-Year Experience Course
Beginning freshmen and transfer students with fewer than 19 credit hours are required to take SCI-I120 Windows on Science (1 cr.) or an equivalent first-year experience course.
Area I English Composition and Communication Competency
Minimum requirements for the School of Science are given in this bulletin (see the School of Science requirements under “Undergraduate Programs”). The second semester of English composition may be satisfied only with ENG-W270 (or ENG-W150), ENG-W231, ENG-W250, ENG-W320, ENG-W331, ENG-W350, TCM 22000, or TCM 32000.
Area II World Language Competency
No world language proficiency is required for a Bachelor of Science degree.
Area IIIA Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, and Cultural Understanding Competencies (12 cr.)
List H course: Choose one course (3 cr.) from this list. The list of course choices is located under the School of Science requirements “Undergraduate Programs” in this bulletin.
List S course: For the Biophysics Concentration students must complete SOC-R100 (Introduction to Sociology) and PSY-B110 (Introduction to Psychology). These courses will fulfill both the List S requirement and the requirement for an additional course from either List H or List S listed below.
One additional course from either List H or List S.
List C course: Choose one course (3 cr.) from this list. The list of course choices is located under the School of Science requirements “Undergraduate Programs” in this bulletin.
For the most current list of courses in the areas of Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences and Cultural Understanding, please refer to the IUPUI General Education Curriculum.
Area IIIC Life and Physical and Sciences Competency
See requirements listed below under Area IV Physics (Biophysics) Concentration Requirements.
Area IIID Analytical Reasoning Competency (21 credits)
Eighteen (18) credit hours of courses in mathematics are required, which must include MATH 16500, MATH 16600, MATH 17100, MATH 26100, and MATH 26600.
The computer programming requirement (3 cr.) of the School of Science may be satisfied with CSCI 23000, CSCI-N305, CSCI-N331, or any higher-level CSCI course.
Students must have grades of C- or higher in Analytical Reasoning courses. A grade of D or D+ will be allowed for one course only.
Note: Computer Science CSCI-N241 and CSCI-N299 do not count in Area IIID, but may count as a general elective.
Area IV Physics (Biophysics) Concentration Requirements
Chemistry: A minimum of 21 credit hours is required.
- CHEM-C105 Principles of Chemistry I (3 cr.)
- CHEM-C125 Experimental Chemistry I (2 cr.)
- CHEM-C106 Principles of Chemistry II (3 cr.)
- CHEM-C126 Experimental Chemistry II (2 cr.)
- CHEM-C341 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.)
- CHEM-C343 Organic Chemistry I Laboratory (2 cr.)
- CHEM-C342 Organic Chemistry II (3 cr.)
- CHEM-C360 Elementary Physical Chemistry (3 cr.) - OR - CHEM-C361 Physical Chemistry of Bulk Matter (3 cr.)
CHEM-C344 Organic Chemistry Laboratory II (2 cr.) is not required but is recommended
Biology: A minimum of 13 credit hours of biology is required.
- BIOL-K101 Concepts of Biology I (5 cr.)
- BIOL-K103 Concepts of Biology II (5 cr.)
- BIOL-K483 Biological Chemistry (3 cr.)
Physics: A minimum of 30 credit hours of physics is required.
- PHYS-P201 General Physics I (5 cr.) and PHYS-P202 General Physics II (5 cr.) -OR-
- PHYS 15200 Mechanics (4 cr.) and PHYS 25100 Heat, Electricity & Optics (5 cr.)
- PHYS 31000 Intermediate Mechanics (4 cr.)
- PHYS 33000 Intermediate Electricity & Magnetism (3 cr.)
- PHYS 34200 Modern Physics (3 cr.)
- PHYS 35300 Electronics Laboratory (2 cr.)
- PHYS 44200 Quantum Mechanics (3 cr.)
- PHYS 58500 Introduction to Molecular Biophysics (3 cr.)
- PHYS 49000 Capstone Experience (3 cr.)
Unless approved as part of the major, note that all courses taken outside the Schools of Science and Liberal Arts must receive approval from the student's major department and the School of Science Academic Dean's Office. Consult with your major department or the School of Science Academic Dean's Office for additional course restrictions.
A minimum of 120 credits is required for graduation. This total must include at least 32 credits in courses at the 300-400 level taken at the IUPUI campus. Residence of at least two semesters on the IUPUI campus is also required for graduation.
No more than 6 credit hours of clinical, athletic, or performing arts courses will be approved. See the departmental advisor for details.