M.S. in Computer Science
The Master of Science in Computer Science program includes a minimum of 30 credit hours in the following four categories.
Foundations (3 cr.)
Complete one course from the following:
- CSCI-B 501 Theory of Computing
- CSCI-B 503 Algorithms Design and Analysis
Systems (3 cr.)
- CSCI-P 536 Advanced Operating Systems
Computer Science Courses (15 cr.)
Complete any CSCI courses 500 level and above. (This does not include INFO, ILS, etc. courses.)
- This may include a maximum of 3 credit hours of independent study (CSCI-Y 790, Y 791, Y 792 and Y 793).
- This may not include CSCI-Y 798 Professional Practicum Internship.
Creativity Requirement (9 cr.)
Complete any SoIC or STATS courses 500 level and above. (This includes CSCI, INFO and ILS courses.)
- This may include a maximum of 6 credit hours of CSCI-Y 798 Professional Practicum Internship. One credit hour is awarded for each 160 hours of work is given. (For example, someone working 10 hours per week for a 16-week semester would receive 1 credit hour.) The credits are rounded down to the nearest whole number, if the number of hours does not divide evenly by 160.
- This may include a maximum of 6 credit hours of independent study (CSCI-Y 790, Y 791, Y 792 and Y 793). Students who wish to complete a master's thesis must take 6 credit hours of CSCI-Y 792 and complete the formal master's thesis as prescribed by the University Graduate School.