Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Theresa Hitchcock for academic advising.
Department of Applied Health Science
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
thehitch [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the B.S. in Public Health degree program, who wish to add a health studies specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Health Studies Core Courses (9 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-H 160 First Aid and Emergency Care (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 263 Personal Health (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 319 Global Health Promotion (3 cr.)
Health Studies Elective Concentration Requirement (6 cr.)
Compete six credits from one of the following specific concentrations. Three credits of the six must be a 300 or 400 level course.
- SPH-B 315 Health in the Later Years (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 341 Effects of Divorce on Children (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 345 Parent-Child Relations (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 150 Children's Health Up to Age 5 (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 220 Death and Dying (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-N 220 Nutrition for Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 234 Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 235 Obesity and Health (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 318 Drug Use in American Society (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 320 The Nature of Cancer (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 418 The Nature of Addiction (3 cr.)
Intentional and Unintentional Injuries
- SPH-H 174 Prevention of Violence in American Society (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 180 Stress Prevention and Management (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 401 Emergency Medical Technician (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 460 Practicum in First Aid Instruction (3 cr.)
- SPH-S 217 Safety: A Personal Focus (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 492 Research in Public Health Education (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 255 Human Sexuality (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 350 Topical Seminar in Health Education, TOPIC: Prevention of Birth Defects (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 305 Women's Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 306 Men's Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 326 AIDS and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (3 cr.)
+ Courses followed by the S&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, social and historical studies requirement for bachelor's degree students.