Departments & Programs
Interdepartmental Major in Sociology and African American and African Diaspora Studies
Students must meet the following course requirements for a minimum total of 40 credit hours.
At least 21 credit hours, of which at least 12 credit hours must be at the 300 level or above, including:
1. One course from the following:
- S100 Introduction to Sociology
- S210 The Economy, Organizations, and Work
- S215 Social Change
- S230 Society and the Individual
2. S110 Charts, Graphs, and Tables.
3. S217 Social Inequality.
4. S335 Race and Ethnic Relations.
5. Three additional courses in sociology at the 300–400 level.
African American and African Diaspora Studies
At least 18 credit hours, of which at least 12 credit hours must be at the 300 level or above, including:
1. A150 Survey of the Culture of Black Americans
2. A355 African American History I or A356 African American History II
3. A379 Early Black American Writing or A380 Contemporary Black American Writing
4. 9 additional credit hours from History, Culture, and Social Issues Concentration. These 9 credit hours must include the Senior Seminar. (Majors are strongly encouraged to take A363 Research on Contemporary African American Problems I when it is taught.)
Students must complete the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences.