Academic Policies & Procedures
Academic dismissal will be considered by the IUSD faculty council upon a recommendation from the progress committee. Students considered for dismissal will be granted the opportunity to appear personally before the progress committee.
A distinction is intended herein between probation–earned, meaning that academic performance has caused this status to be assessed for a given semester; and probation–continued, meaning that this status was not assessed for that semester but has not been removed from a prior assessment.
Criteria for dismissal:
- Failure to comply with the policy on attendance.
- A grade of F in a combined total of 50 percent or more of the semester credit hours in which the student is enrolled.
- Multiple failures in courses, modules, and/or on comprehensive semester examinations.
- Repeated instances of a semester grade point average below 2.0.
- Cumulative grade point average below 2.00 at the conclusion of the first four semesters of the program.
- A lack of acceptable ethical or professional behavior (e.g., academic dishonesty, nonattendance to clinical duties, neglect of attention or responsibility to assigned patients).
- A lack of progress toward degree requirements as judged by the faculty.