IUPUI Bulletins » Policies » Attendance » Transfer Credit


Transfer Credit

Transfers from Other Universities

A student from any other college or university must complete an official undergraduate application through the IUPUI Office of Admissions (https://admissions.iupui.edu/apply/transfer/index.html. Applicants are required to provide official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions they have attended.  This includes any college or university at which you were enrolled but did not complete any classes or any dual-credit courses or college courses completed while you were in high school.

You must contact each school and ask for your official transcript to be sent directly to IUPUI. Transcripts should be mailed to:  IUPUI Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Cavanaugh Hall 147, 425 University Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN 46202.

Electronic transcripts

IUPUI can accept official transcripts that are sent electronically from colleges and universities. However, we do not accept emailed PDFs of transcripts; your transcript must be electronically generated from an official system.

Electronic transcripts can be sent to mycredit@iupui.edu. If your school will be sending limited-time credentials that allow us to access their system, be sure to make your request during regular business hours.

Policy on returning transcripts

All materials submitted in support of an IUPUI application become the property of IUPUI and are not returnable, forwarded, copied, or released to the student or to third parties. Students with education outside of the US are advised to bring additional copies of their official educational documents in envelopes signed, sealed and stamped by the issuing institution should they have need of their official educational documents.

Undergraduate Transfer Admission Requirements

If you have at least 26 hours of transferable credit, you must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and be eligible to return to your previous college.  If you do not have a 2.0 or you are not eligible to return to your former school, you must sit out for one semester (not including summer sessions) before you can transfer to IUPUI.

If you have fewer than 26 hours of transferable credit hours, the admissions standards depend on whether you would have qualified for admission to IUPUI as an incoming freshman.

  • If you would not have qualified for admission as an incoming freshman, you must complete 26 transferable credit hours of coursework with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 at your current college before you can transfer to IUPUI. The 26 transferable credit hours cannot include any dual-credit courses or college courses completed while you were in high school. If you don’t meet these standards, you must sit out for one semester (not including summer sessions) before you can transfer to IUPUI.
  • If you would have qualified for admission as an incoming freshman, you must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and be eligible to return to your previous college in order to transfer to IUPUI. If you don’t meet these standards, you must sit out for one semester (not including summer sessions) before you can transfer to IUPUI.

Transferring from a Purdue campus

All requirements above apply, however, if you are on drop status at a Purdue campus, you are not eligible to transfer to IUPUI until you have sat out one full semester. If you have been dismissed twice, you must sit out one full academic year.

Transferring from an IU campus

Transferring from another Indiana University campus is done through the intercampus transfer process. 

  • Students who want to take classes on a temporary basis, with plans to return to your home IU campus, should apply as a temporary intercampus transfer.
  • Students who are looking to permanently transfer to IUPUI will still need to complete the application for admission. Permanent intercampus transfers do not need to supply high school transcripts or transcripts from the IU system. You will need to provide transcripts from non-IU schools, if you have courses from another college or university.

Students previously dismissed from an IU campus

If you were academically dismissed from an IU campus, you will need to complete additional steps.   

  • If you are admitted to an IUPUI school other than University College, work directly with that academic unit to identify your next steps.
  • If you are admitted to University College, you will go through their academic reinstatement process.

Reinstatement petition dates:  The reinstatement petition is only available during the following dates:

  • Fall semester: April 1 to July 1
  • Spring semester: August 1 to November 1

Prior Conduct Information and Release Form

As part of IUPUI’s commitment to maintaining a safe campus community, you must disclose on your application for admission if you:

  • Have been subject to formal disciplinary action (including, but not limited to, suspension or expulsion) for academic or nonacademic reasons at any high school, postsecondary institution, college, or university.
  • Have been charged or convicted of a crime (or a foreign legal equivalent) that has not been expunged by a court.
  • Have any currently pending criminal charges (or a foreign legal equivalent) against you.
  • Have engaged in any behavior that caused injury to any person(s) or property (including, but not limited to, vandalism or behavior that led to a restraining order against you) that resulted in some form of discipline or intervention.

You will not automatically be denied admission to IUPUI if you have a previous conviction or disciplinary action, but your application must be reviewed by the Admissions Committee before an admission decision is made. It can take up to four to six weeks for the Admissions Committee to review applicants with disclosures.

Transferring Credits to IUPUI

IUPUI is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and awards credit for coursework completed at a college or university that holds accreditation from a regional accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Acceptance of credit from other accredited institutions is performed by the IUPUI Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Course work taken at another institution for which there is an equivalent Indiana University course or Purdue University course (in terms of course description, level, and prerequisites) will generally be transferred as credit in the equivalent courses. Other course work will be transferred as undistributed credit and reviewed by the appropriate department or school to determine how it will be counted toward degree requirements.

If the work was completed elsewhere, only courses with grades of C (2.0) or higher are transferred for possible use toward an IUPUI degree. No courses with grades of C- or lower will transfer to IUPUI.

Grades received for coursework taken at other institutions do not transfer to IUPUI, and they are not included in your GPA unless:

  • You are transferring from an IU campus
  • You are transferring from a Purdue campus to a Purdue degree program at IUPUI

Some schools, however, may consider such grades for admission purposes and other academic matters.

Courses that were completed 10 or more years ago (and in some cases more recently) may not be accepted in some programs of study and must be approved by the IUPUI school and/or department that houses your degree program.

IUPUI will not award transfer credit for:

  • Courses in which you received a C– or lower, unless you are transferring from another Purdue campus and plan to enroll in a Purdue degree program at IUPUI. In that case, all your Purdue coursework will transfer to your IUPUI record, including any courses with D or F grades.
  • Courses and/or credits awarded by another institution for placement examinations or credit by exam, such as Advanced Placement exams or the International Baccalaureate.
  • Courses taken at nationally accredited institutions.
  • Remedial, college preparatory, or personal development courses.
  • Graduate courses.

Admitted transfer students will be able to view your Transfer Credit Report in One.IU which will show:

  • All the courses you’ve taken at other institutions
  • Whether each course will transfer
  • If applicable, the equivalent course at IUPUI for which you will receive credit

Students can use a course equivalency guide to determine how credits might transfer from your school to IUPUI.

  • Use TransferIN if you’re transferring from a public college or university in Indiana.
  • Use the Transfer Rule Catalog if you’re transferring from a private college or university in Indiana or an out-of-state school.

Courses taken at another institution on a quarter system rather than a semester system will be evaluated as carrying fewer credit hours (e.g., a 3 credit hour course taken on a quarter system will transfer as 2 credit hours).

Courses taken at foreign institutions that are accredited at the same level as IUPUI will be transferred into IUPUI as undistributed credit rather than as specific courses. In general, the international admissions evaluator will designate the credit as lower-division course work with a 100 number, though if it is clear that the course work warrants a 200 or 300 number, such designations will be used. If students want courses to count for specific classes, they must obtain an official translation of the course description and any other material, such as a syllabus, that explains the course content. With that material, the department offering the course can determine whether there is an equivalent IUPUI course. An individual within each department or school will be responsible for making the determination and informing the Office of International Affairs, using the Undistributed Transfer Credit Departmental Evaluation Form. Subsequently, the appropriate changes will be made on the student's official transcript.