Academic Policies & Procedures

Master's Degree Students

Transfer of Credit

With the approval of a graduate student's academic advisor and the executive associate dean, graduate-level academic credit from another institution may be transferred for use in a School of Public Health - Bloomington master's degree. An official transcript from the registrar's office of the academic institution where the course work was completed must be on file in the School of Public Health - Bloomington records office. A copy of this transcript should accompany the request through its approval stages. A student's academic advisor must submit a Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit Form to SPH Room 115, for evaluation and final approval of the executive associate dean. This form may be found online at Stipulations for transferability are as follows:
  • A maximum of 9 credit hours of graduate work may be transferred from other institutions for application to a master's degree.
  • A minimum grade of B is required in each course to be transferred. A course with a grade of B- may not be transferred for use in a graduate degree.
  • Grades of Pass (P) or Satisfactory (S) cannot be accepted unless there is official documentation from the transferring institution to verify that these grades are equivalent to at least a B on a graduate grading scale.
  • No credit can be transferred for a course that cannot be officially documented as carrying graduate credit.
  • Any graduate course work to be taken at another institution for the purpose of transfer to an Indiana University program must be approved in advance by the advisor and the executive associate dean.
  • A student wishing to enroll in degree-related course work at any other Indiana University campus must secure the appropriate forms from the School of Public Health - Bloomington records office, SPH Room 115, before registering for such courses.
  • For all School of Public Health - Bloomington master’s degrees, course work completed more than seven years before the starting date of student’s program-entry semester may not be used to satisfy the program’s course requirements unless the student has remained current in the course subject matter. The student’s graduate advisor may recommend to the executive associate dean that course work taken before the seven year time limit be revalidated if it can be demonstrated that the knowledge contained in the course(s) remains current. Currency of knowledge may be demonstrated by such accomplishments as: (a) passing an examination specifically on the material covered by the course; (b) passing a more advanced course in the same subject area; (c) passing a comprehensive examination in which the student demonstrates substantial knowledge of the content of the course; (d) teaching a comparable course; (e) publishing scholarly research demonstrating fundamental principles of the course; or (f) demonstrating currency of course subject matter through work experience within seven years of matriculation. Each course for which consideration for revalidation is being requested should be justified separately in a document presented to the executive associate dean for approval.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Question: Is coursework taken at an IU campus, other than the Bloomington campus, considered to be transfer coursework?
Answer: No, Indiana University coursework completed at any IU regional campus or in another school on the IU Bloomington campus is not considered to be transfer coursework.

Question: I would like to transfer credit hours to my master's degree program from an academic institution that is on the quarter-hour system; how do those hours equate to IU's semester-hour system?
Answer: A quarter-hour equates to .6667, or two thirds of a semester-hour; example: a 3 credit-hour course completed at an institution that is on the quarter-hour system would transfer into IU as 2 semester credit-hours.

Question: I have a graduate level course from 8 years ago. Will it count in my current master's degree program?
Answer: Probably not. No course more than seven years old when you started at IU Bloomington in your current master's degree program will count toward credit for that degree unless your academic advisor submits a request to have it revalidated. That will only happen if your advisor wants it counted, and if you have remained current in the course subject matter. Please read the rule above to learn the ways you can demonstrate currency of knowledge in an old course.

Academic Bulletins