Undergraduate Division

Bachelor of Music Education Degrees

Teaching Certification

Application for admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP) of the School of Education should be made in the sophomore year. For more information about admission to the Teacher Education Program please contact the Music Education Department. To apply to TEP, please visit https://education.indiana.edu/admissions/apply/undergraduate/index.html.

In addition to the successful completion of the BME degree, teaching certification for the State of Indiana requires the recommendation of Indiana University and completion of appropriate testing and certifications as required by the State of Indiana (see https://education.indiana.edu/licensing/initial-licensure.html). Certification requirements for other states are summarized here: https://education.indiana.edu/students/licensing/licensing-outside-indiana.html

Students in music bachelor’s degree programs other than the BME who wish to obtain information on music teaching certification should contact the undergraduate coordinator in the music education department.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.

Previous Bulletins

Students are ordinarily subject to the curricular requirements outlined in the Bulletin in effect at the start of their current degree. See below for links to previous Bulletins.