IU Bulletins HomeBloomington Campus
Indiana University
Search Labor Studies Bulletin

Request Labor Studies Application Packet

Labor Studies Bulletin Table of Contents

Division of
Labor Studies
Academic Bulletin

Labor Studies Programs  
Division of Labor Studies 
Poplars 628 
Bloomington, IN 47405 
Local (812) 855-9082 
Toll Free (800) 822-4743 
Fax (812) 855-1563 
Contact Labor Studies 

Application and Admission

General Information
Transferring Credit
Application Fees

General Information

The certificate and degree programs in the Division of Labor Studies are open to all qualified high school graduates or persons with the General Education Development (GED) certificate. Adults over 21 who do not meet these requirements may be admitted on a provisional basis and may apply for regular admission upon successful completion of 12 credit hours. Applicants must submit the following:

  1. A completed application for admission to the Labor Studies Program
  2. A nonrefundable application fee payable to Indiana University, if the applicant has not previously been admitted to Indiana University
  3. A high school transcript, if there is no college work.
  4. An official transcript(s) from each college you have attended, mailed by the college
Applicants should forward all application materials to the Division of Labor Studies office on the campus where they intend to enroll. For addresses, see the Faculty, Staff, and Offices section of this bulletin. Applicants who do not live within commuting distance of a campus and who wish to participate through Independent Study by Correspondence should send materials to the Bloomington office, attention External Study. International students should request the international application for admission and related materials from the Bloomington office.

Citizens of other countries, including those in the United States on immigration visas, must also submit TOEFL scores and a 300- to 500-word handwritten essay. The essay is to be written on a topic of the student's choice and may include autobiographical information. Students who intend to pursue the degree on an Indiana University campus must also submit the international application for admission.

Return to Top

Transferring Credit

When official transcripts are received, they will be forwarded to the admissions office for evaluation. Within a few weeks the applicant should receive official notice of admission and a credit transfer report indicating which courses are accepted at Indiana University (generally those in which the applicant earned grades of C or better from accredited institutions). The Division of Labor Studies office will then prepare a summary of how these courses apply to labor studies certificate and degree requirements.

At this point, if not before, students should proceed to plan their programs in consultation with their advisors and to enroll in courses. Students should check with the Division of Labor Studies office on the campus where they plan to enroll for schedules and directions.

Correspondence participants should contact the Bloomington office for advising and should use the booklet titled Independent Study University Courses.

Return to Top

Application Fees

Applicants who have not previously attended Indiana University must pay a nonrefundable application fee at the time they submit their application. Application fees vary from campus to campus and are subject to change.

Return to Top


Students who wish to take regular on-campus courses should check with the Division of Labor Studies office on that campus for any application and enrollment deadlines.

Return to Top

Indiana University
Office of Creative Services
Von Lee 319
517 East Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47408-4060
(812) 855-5121


Copyright ,, The Trustees of Indiana University