IU Bulletins HomeBloomington Campus
Indiana University
Search University Graduate 
School Bulletin

Request University 
Graduate School Application Packet

University Graduate School 
Bulletin Table of Contents

Academic Bulletin

University Graduate School  
Kirkwood Hall 111 
Indiana University 
Bloomington, IN 47405 
(812) 855-8853 
Contact Graduate Office 

Student Financial Aid

A number of fellowships are available to students enrolled in the University Graduate School; among them are University Graduate School fellowships, fee scholarships, and various privately and federally funded awards. Students should apply for these fellowships directly to the major department. Information on and preliminary application materials for the National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships may be obtained from the University Graduate School, Kirkwood Hall 111, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 (telephone: (812) 855-8854), or the Fellowship Office, National Research Council, 2101 Constitution Avenue N.W., Washington, DC 20418. In all cases, early application is advisable. It should be noted that all such award holders are required to devote full time to their studies.

Indiana University also offers several fellowship and support programs for students underrepresented in graduate education (Afro-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Puerto Rican). These include the Chancellor’s Minority Fellowship, the Dean’s Minority Fellowship, the Educational Opportunity Fellowship, and the Graduate Minority Fellowship. For further information contact the Graduate Minority Fellowship Office, 803 E. Eighth St., (812) 855-4005.

The GradGrants Center—

The GradGrants Center-Bloomington (GGC) is a free service available to all enrolled graduate students on all campuses of Indiana University. The GGC provides information and training to assist graduate students in their search for funding to further research and graduate study at Indiana University. The GGC’s services include funding-database searches, workshops, one-on-one proposal-writing consultation, agency files, a library of funding-source and proposal-writing books, a bimonthly newsletter on World Wide Web, and an electronic mailing list used to inform patrons of upcoming workshops, grant deadlines, and relevant news.

The GradGrants Center—Bloomington is located in the Main Library, Room 1052E (telephone: [812] 855-5281, e-mail: gradgrnt@indiana.edu, Web site: http://www.indiana.edu/~gradgrnt/index.html). The Indianapolis campus has a center to provide services for IUPUI graduate students located in the Union Building, Room 518; telephone: (317) 274-4023.

Doctoral Student Grants-in-Aid of Research
A program of doctoral student grants-in-aid of research is designed to assist doctoral students in funding unusual expenses arising from the research required for the dissertation. Examples of such expenses include travel to specialized libraries or research sites, payment of subjects or computer programmers, and purchases of specialized materials or equipment that cannot be provided by the major department. The maximum amount of aid is $1,000. Awards are made two times a year; the deadlines for the receipt by the University Graduate School of the completed applications are March 1 and October 1. Application forms are available through the University Graduate School.

Associate Instructorships, Graduate Assistantships, and Research Assistantships
A large number of associate instructorships, graduate assistantships, and research assistantships are available in departments and schools offering degrees through the University Graduate School. Some of these positions are accompanied by fee scholarships, which defray the cost of tuition and fees with the exception of special fees and those fees dedicated to debt retirement on physical facilities; these dedicated fees were $23.65 per credit hour per semester in 1999-2000. Application for such positions should be made to the department or school in which the student wishes to work. Early application is advisable.

Resident Assistantships
Positions are also available on the Bloomington campus for single graduate students as resident assistants in the university’s residence halls. Selection of graduate students for these positions is based upon the applicant’s academic record, previous background and experience, potential for work with undergraduate students, and personal qualifications necessary to relate successfully with other people. As a member of the Dean of Students Division, the resident assistant serves as an advisor to a living unit of 50 students in one of the university residence centers. These positions provide room, board, and a cash stipend; course work is limited to a maximum of 12 credit hours each semester. For further information write to the Director, Department of Residence Life, 801 N. Jordan Avenue, Bloomington, IN 47405 (telephone: (812) 855-1764).

Other Student Financial Assistance
Long-term loans and Graduate Work-Study are available through the Office of Student Financial Assistance, Franklin Hall 208, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 (telephone: (812) 855-0321). More information and application requirements are on the Indiana University Web site.

For information about other campuses, contact the Financial Aid Services, Kettler Hall 109, Fort Wayne, IN 46805 (telephone: (219) 481-6820); the Office of Student Financial Aid, Cavanaugh Hall 103, 425 University Blvd., Indianapolis, IN 46202 (telephone: (317) 274-4162); the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, Administration Building 157, P.O. Box 7111, 1700 Mishawaka Avenue, South Bend, IN 46634 (telephone: (219) 237-4357); or the Office of Student Financial Assistance, Library Building 100, New Albany, IN 47150 (telephone: (812) 941-2246).

Indiana University
Office of Creative Services
Poplars 721
400 East Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405-3085
(812) 855-1162

Last updated: 21 Aug 2001
Comments: iupubs@indiana.edu
Copyright ,, The Trustees of Indiana University