IU Bulletins HomeBloomington Campus
Indiana University
Search University Graduate 
School Bulletin

Request University 
Graduate School Application Packet

University Graduate School 
Bulletin Table of Contents

Academic Bulletin

University Graduate School  
Kirkwood Hall 111 
Indiana University 
Bloomington, IN 47405 
(812) 855-8853 
Contact Graduate Office 


Undergraduate Requirements
The University Graduate School will consider applications from students holding baccalaureate degrees from Indiana University or from other accredited four-year collegiate institutions. The University Graduate School may admit students who do not meet stated admission criteria provided that the deficiencies amount to no more than one year’s work. The dean will determine the condition of admission in such cases. If more than a year’s work is deficient, students should apply to the University Graduate School for admission to the Continuing Nondegree Program. Students from unaccredited institutions may be admitted as special students for one semester; if their records are then satisfactory and their department, program, or school recommends them, they will be given full standing. Ordinarily, a B (3.0) average in the undergraduate major is required for admission to the University Graduate School.

Before they may take courses for graduate credit, all individuals must be accepted by a department, program, or school authorized by the University Graduate School to offer degrees and must be admitted to the University Graduate School.1

Indiana University Baccalaureate Degree Candidates
Candidates for baccalaureate degrees at Indiana University may apply for conditional admission to the University Graduate School and may enroll for graduate credit for that portion of their program not required for completion of the baccalaureate degree, provided:

  1. they are within one semester of meeting baccalaureate degree requirements. (If the baccalaureate is not completed within that semester, graduate credit earned may not be counted toward an advanced degree);
  2. the total course load does not exceed that ordinarily taken by a full-time graduate student; and
  3. the courses taken for graduate credit are authorized to carry such credit. (In certain instances graduate credit is allowed for undergraduate courses.)
Prospective graduate students, including graduates of Indiana University, must make formal application to a department or academic school. Most programs of the University Graduate School consider applications for admission and financial aid that are completed by the following dates: January 15 for the fall semester, September 1 for the spring semester, and January 1 for the summer. If a program uses other deadlines, the applicant will be informed by the staff of the program. Many graduate programs consider applications submitted after a deadline as long as all available spaces for students have not been filled by highly qualified applicants. Inquiries about late applications for admission or financial aid should be addressed to the program of your intended major.

Application forms are available in the office of the University Graduate School, Kirkwood Hall 111, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, in the IUPUI Graduate Office, IUPUI, Union Building 518, 620 Union Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, and in departmental offices. Many departments also accept electronic applications.

For further information,consult http://www.gradapp.indiana.edu/. All applications must be accompanied by one complete transcript of previous college and university work and should be submitted directly to the department in which the student wishes to work. Indiana University graduates should request the registrar’s office to send unofficial copies of their transcripts to that department.

By action of the Trustees of Indiana University, a nonrefundable application fee of $40 is required of all applicants. An application fee of $35 (1999-2000 fee) is required for all applicants applying to Indiana University Graduate School programs on the IUPUI campus. All Graduate Non-Degree students on the Indianapolis campus must pay $35 (1999-2000 fee) as well.

Admission (except for continuing nondegree students) is made to a particular department for a specific degree, and no student shall be permitted to work toward a degree without first having been admitted to do so. A flexible entry procedure for basic science programs at Indianapolis allows Ph.D. students up to one year to identify a research laboratory and degree program. Students desiring to change departments should fill out Transfer of Department Forms, which may be obtained in the offices of individual departments or schools (e.g., the School of Education, the College of Arts and Sciences). Requests for change of degree status must be submitted by the department and approved by the dean.

Following the notice of admission to the University Graduate School, an applicant normally has two calendar years in which to enroll. Supplementary transcripts of any additional academic work undertaken during that period are required, and a department may request additional letters of recommendation. Should the updated material prove unsatisfactory, the admission may be cancelled. If the applicant fails to enroll within two years, a completely new application is required.

Graduate Records Examination
Applicants may be required to take the Graduate Record Examination General Test, Subject Test, or both (see departmental requirements). Information concerning these examinations may be obtained from Graduate Record Examinations, Educational Testing Service, CN 6000, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000. Applications are available in the office of the University Graduate School.

International Students
There are special application procedures for those who are not citizens of the United States or who have had their previous schooling outside the United States. Such individuals should obtain the International Packet from the Office of Admissions at Bloomington (300 N. Jordan Ave; (812) 855-4306; e-mail INTLADM@indiana.edu) or the Office of International Affairs at IUPUI (Union Building; Room 207; (317) 274-7294; e-mail intlaff@iupui.edu; the international application may be down loaded from http://www.iupui.edu/~oia). Because of the extra procedures required in evaluating foreign credentials, the application fee for international students is $40 ($55 at IUPUI). This fee need be paid only once, no matter how many degrees a student might earn from Indiana University.

Once enrolled, international students who wish to change their programs of study must first obtain the approval of the Office of International Services. When such approval is granted, application for formal change of status may then be made to the University Graduate School according to the same procedures governing United States citizens.

International students must enroll in at least 8 credit hours each fall and spring semester in order to meet visa requirements. Any exceptions to this regulation must be approved in advance by the Office of International Services.

Since the language of instruction at Indiana University is English, proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English is essential. Applicants whose native language is not English should submit proof of such proficiency by the time they apply for admission. Normally this is done by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Results of this test should be submitted as part of the application for admission. The TOEFL examination is given six times a year in the United States and many foreign countries. Further information may be obtained at American consulates or by writing to TOEFL, Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08541, U.S.A. If it is not possible to take the TOEFL, applicants should obtain a statement by a responsible official, ordinarily a United States consular official, attesting that they read, write, speak, and understand the English language well enough to pursue, at an American university, a program leading to an advanced degree in their chosen field. Such a statement should be submitted with the application for admission.

Prior to registration for classes, all new students whose native language is not English are required to take an English Language Proficiency Test administered by the Indiana University Center for English Language Training (CELT) at Bloomington and the ESL Program and the Office of International Affairs at Indianapolis. If the results of this test indicate that a student needs additional work in English as a second language, appropriate recommendations will be made to the student’s academic advisors. This requirement has been established in recognition of the vital importance of language competency to the student’s academic success. Prospective students whose native language is not English and who have been offered positions as associate instructors are required to pass additional tests in English, since success as a teacher at Indiana University is dependent upon one’s ability to communicate in the English language. Information regarding these examinations may be obtained directly from the individual academic departments.

Nondegree Students

Special Students
Students who have not been admitted to a degree program but who intend to study primarily in one department may be admitted by that department with the approval of the dean as special students. They must apply to a department just as degree students do and should indicate their desired status.

Continuing Nondegree Students
The holder of a baccalaureate degree who wishes to study on a non-degree basis without necessarily concentrating in a single department may be admitted to the University Graduate School as a continuing nondegree student. Such students may not accumulate more than 18 credit hours in a single subject area, and may enroll only in those courses for which they can obtain specific permission to register, which takes into consideration the academic background of the individual and course enrollment limitations. For details of admission and further information, students should consult the University Graduate School at Bloomington (Kirkwood Hall 111, (812) 855-8854) or the Graduate Nondegree Program at Indianapolis, 620 Union Drive, Room 518, (317) 274-1577).

A student initially admitted as a continuing nondegree student who later wishes to obtain a graduate degree must make formal application and be admitted to a departmental degree program. The department may then recommend to the dean that credit earned as a continuing nondegree student be applied to degree requirements. Students should be aware that certain departments and schools specifically prohibit work taken under continuing nondegree status from counting toward a degree after a student has been admitted to a degree program.

1 These three types of administrative units (department, program, and school) will be subsumed under the term “department” in the following pages for the sake of simplicity.

Indiana University
Office of Creative Services
Poplars 721
400 East Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405-3085
(812) 855-1162

Last updated: 20 Aug 2001
Comments: iupubs@indiana.edu
Copyright ,, The Trustees of Indiana University