Policies & Procedures

Academic Policies & Procedures

Grade of Incomplete

A grade of I (Incomplete) may be given only when the work of the course is substantially completed and when the student’s work is of passing quality. A grade of I may not be given when a student has taken the final exam or completed the final paper or project for the course. When an I is assigned, a record must be maintained in the office of the department in which the grade was given. The record will include a statement of the reason for recording the I and an adequate guide for its removal and a suggested final grade in case the instructor should leave campus for an extended time.

The time allowed for the removal of an I may not exceed one calendar year from the date of its recording, although the dean of the student’s college or school may authorize adjustment of this period in exceptional circumstances.

To complete a course in which a student received a grade of I, the student should consult with the instructor. The student should not reenroll in the course.

By assigning an I, an instructor implicitly authorizes and requires the I to be changed to an F at the end of one calendar year if that instructor does not act to remove the I. The registrar will automatically change the I to an F at the end of this time period. Both the student and the instructor in whose course the student received the I will be notified of this change of grade.

These regulations do not apply to Research and Readings courses in which completion of the work of the course is not necessarily required at the end of the semester and the grade R (Deferred) is given. Once a student has graduated, nothing in these regulations shall prohibit the I from remaining on the record.