IU Bulletins HomeBloomington CampusIndianapolis Campusred
Indiana University

Search University Graduate School 2004-2005 Online Bulletin

University Graduate School 2004-2005 Online Bulletin Table of Contents


University Graduate
School 2004-2005
Academic Bulletin

University Graduate School
Kirkwood Hall 111  
Indiana University 
Bloomington, IN 47405  
(812) 855-8853  
Toll Free (888) 335-7547  
Contact University Graduate School

Graduate Office
Union Building 518
Indiana University–Purdue University
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 278-2490
Contact Graduate Office

Student Financial Aid

The GradGrants Center—Bloomington
Doctoral Student Grants-in-Aid of Research
Associate Instructorships, Graduate Assistantships,
  and Research Assistantships

Resident Assistantships
Other Student Financial Assistance


A number of fellowships are available to students enrolled in the University Graduate School; among them are University Graduate School fellowships, fee scholarships, and various privately and federally funded awards. Students should apply for these fellowships directly to the major department. Information on and preliminary application materials for the National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships may be obtained from the University Graduate School, Kirkwood Hall 111, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 (telephone [812] 856-4555), the Graduate Office at IUPUI, 518 Union Building, Indianapolis, IN 46202, or the Fellowship Office, National Research Council, 2101 Constitution Avenue N.W., Washington, DC 20418. In all cases, early application is advisable. It should be noted that all such award holders are required to devote full time to their studies.

Indiana University also offers several fellowship and support programs for students underrepresented in graduate education (African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Puerto Rican). These include the Chancellor's Minority Fellowship, Dean's Minority Fellowship, Women in Science Graduate Fellowship, Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship, Minority Education and Development Initiative for Careers in Biomedicine (MEDIC-B) Graduate Fellowship, and the Educational Opportunity Fellowship. To be considered for any of these awards, a student should submit an IU application form for admission and financial aid to the relevant graduate program at IUB or IUPUI by mid-January of the year preceeding enrollment. Further information for IUB students can be obtained from the Office of Fellowships and Support Programs, Kirkwood Hall 111, 130 S. Woodlawn Avenue; Phone: (812) 855-9343; e-mail grdschl@indiana.edu; Web: www.indiana.edu/~grdschl. Further information for IUPUI students can be obtained from the Graduate Office at IUPUI, 518 Union Building; phone (317) 274-2490; Web:www.iupui.edu/~resgrad/.

Return to Top

The GradGrants Center—Bloomington

The GradGrants Center—Bloomington (GGC) is a free service available to all enrolled graduate students on all campuses of Indiana University. The GGC provides information and training to assist graduate students in their search for funding to further research and graduate study at Indiana University. The GGC's services include funding-database searches, workshops, one-on-one proposal-writing consultation, agency files, a library of funding-source and proposal-writing books, a bimonthly newsletter on the World Wide Web, and an electronic mailing list used to inform patrons of upcoming workshops, grant deadlines, and relevant news.

The center also provides a Web site titled "Indiana University Student Academic Appointment Vacancies" (www.indiana.edu/~gradgrnt/saa_bbs/saa.cgi). This site provides Bloomington graduate students with the ability to access one central location to find available student academic vacancies and provides departments on the Bloomington campus an additional means to advertise their positions.

The GradGrants Center-Bloomington is located in the Main Library, Room 1052E (telephone (812) 855-5281, e-mail gradgrnt@indiana.edu, Web site: www.indiana.edu/~gradgrnt/index.html.) The Indianapolis campus has a center to provide services for IUPUI graduate students: Union Building, Room 518; telephone (317) 274-4023.

Return to Top

Doctoral Student Grants-in-Aid of Research (Limited to IUB Students)

A program of doctoral student grants-in-aid of research is designed to assist doctoral students in funding unusual expenses arising from the research required for the dissertation. Examples of such expenses include travel to specialized libraries or research sites, payment of subjects or computer programmers, and purchases of specialized materials or equipment that cannot be provided by the major department. The maximum amount of aid is $1,000. Awards are made two times a year; the deadlines for the receipt by the University Graduate School of the completed applications are March 1 and October 1. Application forms are available through the University Graduate School.

Return to Top

Associate Instructorships, Graduate Assistantships, and Research Assistantships

A large number of associate instructorships, graduate assistantships, and research assistantships are available in departments and schools offering degrees through the University Graduate School. Some of these positions are accompanied by fee scholarships, which defray the cost of tuition and fees with the exception of special fees and those fees dedicated to debt retirement on physical facilities; these dedicated fees were $20.50 per credit hour per semester in 2001-2002. Application for such positions should be made to the department or school in which the student wishes to work. Early application is advisable.

Return to Top

Resident Assistantships

Positions are available on the Bloomington campus and at IUPUI for single graduate students as resident assistants in the residence halls. Selection of graduate students for these positions is based upon the applicant's academic record, previous background and experience, potential for work with undergraduate students, and personal qualifications necessary to relate successfully to other people. The resident assistant serves as an advisor to a living unit of 50 students in one of the university residence centers. These positions provide room, board, and a cash stipend; course work is limited to a maximum of 12 credit hours each semester. For further IUB information, contact the director, Department of Residence Life, 801 N. Jordan Avenue, Bloomington, IN 47405, telephone (812) 855-1764. For further IUPUI information, contact the director, Office of Housing and Residence Life, 1226 West Michigan Street Indianapolis, IN 46202-5180, telephone (317) 274-7200.

Return to Top

Other Student Financial Assistance

Long-term loans and Federal Graduate Work-Study are available to graduate students at IU. More information and application requirements are on the Indiana University Web site.

IUPUI students, contact the Ofice of Student Financial Aid, Cavanaugh Hall 103, 425 University Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN 46202, telephone (317) 274-4162. For information about other campuses, contact Financial Aid Services, Kettler Hall 109, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, telephone (260) 481-6258; the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, Administration Building 157, P.O. Box 7111, 1700 Mishawaka Avenue, South Bend, IN 46634, telephone (574) 237-4357; or the Office of Student Financial Assistance, Library Building 100, New Albany, IN 47150, telephone (812) 941-2246.

Return to Top

Indiana University
Office of Creative Services
Von Lee 319
517 East Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47408-4060

Last updated: 21 October 2018 00 01 15

Submit Questions or Comments
Copyright 2018 The Trustees of Indiana University