Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Physics
College policy on advising requires that students meet with their academic advisors at least once each year, and in some departments, prior to each semester’s enrollment. Advising holds are reset following advising appointments. Students with a declared major are advised in their academic units. To determine who your advisor is and how to contact them, see Onestart.
Students receiving the Bachelor of Arts degree must complete 120 total credit hours including
- The IU South Bend campuswide general-education curriculum (33-39 cr.)
Note | The Quantitative Reasoning requirement is met by the required mathematics courses for the B.A. in Physics.
- The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Bachelor of Arts additional requirements (14-23 cr.)
Note | The laboratory science requirement is fulfilled by required physics courses.
- Major concentration and elective requirements.
- The Required Minor (15-18 cr.) taken in any campus school or interdisciplinary program.
- A minimum of 30 credit hours at the 300- or 400-level.
- In addition, major and minor requirements must be completed with a grade of C– or higher.
All courses are 3 credit hours, unless otherwise designated.
Physics Requirements (30 cr.)
Fundamental Core (19 cr.)
- PHYS-P 221 Physics 1 (5 cr.)
- PHYS-P 222 Physics 2 (5 cr.)
- PHYS-P 309 Modern Physics Laboratory
- PHYS-P 323 Physics 3
- PHYS-P 324 Physics 4
Advanced Core (0-12 cr.)
- PHYS-P 331 Theory of Electricity and Magnetism
- PHYS-P 340 Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics
- PHYS-P 441 Analytical Mechanics I
- PHYS-P 453 Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
Physics Electives (0-11 cr.)
- AST-A 453 Topical Astrophysics
- AST-N 390 Natural World
- GEOL-G 413 Introduction to Geophysics
- PHYS-P 303 Digital Electronics (4 cr.)
- PHYS-P 321 Techniques of Theoretical Physics
- PHYS-P 334 Fundamentals of Optics
- PHYS-P 410 Computing Applications in Physics
- PHYS-P 473 Introduction to String Theory
- PHYS-S 405 Readings in Physics (1-3 cr.)
Research (0-3 cr.)
- PHYS-S 406 Research Project (1-3 cr.)
Mathematics Requirements (13 cr.)
- MATH-M 215 Calculus I (5 cr.)
- MATH-M 216 Calculus II (5 cr.)
- MATH-M 343 Introduction to Differential Equations I
Free Electives (as needed to bring degree total to 120 cr.)
- CHEM-C 105 Principles of Chemistry I
- CHEM-C 106 Principles of Chemistry II
- CHEM-C 125 Experimental Chemistry I (2 cr.)
- CHEM-C 126 Experimental Chemistry II (2 cr.)
- CSCI-C 101 Computer Programming I (4 cr.)
- MATH-M 301 Linear Algebra and Applications
- MATH-M 311 Calculus 3 (5 cr.)
- MATH-M 344 Introduction to Differential Equations