Geographic Information Science
Admission RequirementsAdmission to the Master of Science in Geographic Information Science requires:
- A baccalaureate degree in geography or closely related discipline from an accredited four-year institution, with a GPA of at least 3.0, documented by an official transcript.
- Scores from the Graduate Records Examination (GRE). Beginning in summer 2011, Educational Testing Services (ETS) began implementing a new scoring system for the GRE. To accommodate these changes and ensure comparability between old and new versions of the GRE, the Department of Geography will consider and evaluate the percentiles associated with applicants’ reported GRE scores in making admissions decisions.
- Proficiency in the English language. International students must submit proof of language proficiency (normally a score of 550 or above on the TOEFL exam). Please refer to the IUPUI Graduate Office for English proficiency requirements for non-native speakers of English, available at http://www.iupui.edu/%7egradoff/docs/els-policy.pdf
- An application essay describing the student’s background, interests in the field, and reasons for pursuing the degree.
- Three letters of recommendation.
Applicants to the MS GIS program must submit applications online through the Indiana University Graduate School at IUPUI.
A complete application includes:
- completed application form
- three letters of recommendation - letters should be requested from individuals familiar with academic abilities and potential
- official transcripts documenting all college and university work including courses, grades, and degrees awarded
- official report of scores for the Graduate Record Exam
- an application essay (2-4 pages suggested length)
- payment of Graduate School application fee