Departments, Programs and Centers
- Chair: Associate Professor Kristina Horn Sheeler
- Professors: Linda Bell, Richard K. Curtis (Emeritus), Robert C. Dick (Emeritus), John Parrish-Sprowl, Sandra Petronio, Dorothy L. Webb (Emerita), J. Edgar Webb (Emeritus)
- Associate Professors: David G. Burns (Emeritus), Catherine A. Dobris, Elizabeth M. Goering, Kristine B. Karnick, Nancy Rhodes, Kristina Horn Sheeler, Gail G. Whitchurch, Kim White-Mills
- Assistant Professors: Jennifer Bute, Jonathan Rossing
- Senior Lecturers: Jennifer Cochrane, Jan DeWester, Kate Thedwall, Ronald M. Sandwina
- Lecturers: Jaime Hamilton, Sumana Jogi, Stephen LeBeau, Michael Polites, Trevor Potts, Charles Reyes, Ian Sheeler
- Professional Staff: Robin Waldron, Assistant to the Chair
Cavanaugh Hall 309
Communication Studies is an integral part of Liberal Arts. The Department of Communication Studies at IUPUI offers an undergraduate major, five minors, two certificate programs, and a Master of Arts degree in Applied Communication. The curriculum focuses on the application of communication theories, methods, and competencies toward solving practical problems and creating civically engaged citizens.
Communication Studies coursework assists students in enhancing such competencies as critical inquiry, problem solving, media and message design, campaign development, oral performance, relational interaction, and cross cultural communication. The Communication Studies curriculum provides a foundation for students interested in pursuing careers that apply communication principles in variaous contexts and fields, such as public relations, sales, marketing, media, corporate, political, health, training and development, human resources, public affairs, consulting, and special events planning. In addition, it prepares students for graduate work in various areas, including communication, informatics, humanities, or social sciences, or in professional programs such as law, business, health, and social work.
The department offers a competitive intercollegiate forensics program, undergraduate and graduate student organizations, and scholarship, research and study abroad opportunities.