Student Learning Outcomes
Master of Science in Health Informatics
Students will master health informatics knowledge and skills, as well as acquiring practical experience, in three domains:
- Understanding technology and methodologies for processing data, information and knowledge in Health Care
- Explain concepts of information and communication technologies.
- Elaborate basic informatics terminology like data, information, knowledge, hardware, software, networks, information systems, information systems management, databases.
- Execute queries on large databases using data mining and testing hypothesis approaches.
- Integrate data from disparate systems found in hospitals and clinics.
- Implement standards and terminologies for documenting health events and exchanging protected health information.
- Information Literacy for Health Care
- Determine the nature and extent of the information needed.
- Access needed information effectively and efficiently.
- Evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into his or her knowledge base and value system.
- Individually or as a member of a group, use information effectively to accomplish a specific health care purpose.
- Propose/justify Decision Support Systems algorithm to support care delivery.
- Integrate Natural Language Processing (NLP) with standards and terminologies used in health care
- Evaluate outcomes of the use of information in clinical practice.
- Information Management
- Verbalize the importance of Health Information Systems to clinical practice.
- Have knowledge of various types of Health Information Systems and their clinical and administrative uses.
- Assure confidentiality of protected patient health information when using Health Information Systems.
- Assure access control in the use of Health Information Systems.
- Assure the security of Health Information Systems.
- Estimate the Return of Investment (ROI) of health information technology applications for health care.
- Possess the skills as outlined in direct care component of the HL7 EHRS model, which such as navigation, Decision Support, output reports and more.
- Understand the principles upon which organizational and professional Health Information System for providers and consumers are based.