Student Learning Outcomes
Certificate in Informatics in Health Information Management and Exchange
Individuals graduating from this program will support the collection, management, retrieval, exchange, and/or analysis of information in electronic form, in healthcare and public health organizations.
- Understanding Technology and Methodologies for processing data, information and knowledge in Health Care
- Explain concepts of information and communication technologies.
- Elaborate basic informatics terminology like data, information, knowledge, hardware, software, networks, information systems, information systems management, databases.
- Implement standards and terminologies for documenting health events and exchanging protected health information.
- Information Literacy for Health Care
- Determine the nature and extent of the information needed to build effective health information exchange services.
- Propose infrastructure needed for health information exchange effectively and efficiently.
- Evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into health information exchange services.
- Evaluate outcomes of health information exchange services on health care outcomes.
- Information Management
- Verbalize the importance of health information exchange to health care outcomes.
- Have knowledge of various types of health information exchange services.
- Assure confidentiality of protected patient health information when using health information exchange.
- Assure access control in the use of health information exchange.
- Assure the security of health information exchange.
- Possess the skills as outlined in supportive functions component of the HL7 model applicable to health information exchange.
- Understand the principles upon which organizational and professional Health Information System for providers and consumers are based.