Probation and Dismissal Policies
The following policy regarding academic probation and dismissal applies to all Indiana University Kokomo students. Dismissal from the university occurs when a student has ceased to make adequate progress toward a degree.
1. Any student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation.
2. A student may be continued on probation when his/her semester GPA is above a 2.0 but his/her cumulative GPA is below 2.0.
Note: The faculty of a school, division or degree program may enact more stringent or more specific policies governing probation, suspension or readmission in that school, division or degree program.
3. A student on academic probation shall be dismissed from Indiana University Kokomo if his/her semester GPA is below 2.0 and hi/her cumulative GPA is below that required in the table below.
Credit Hours Completed at Minimum Cumulative GPA
Close of Semester (Total Grade Pts./Total Cr. Hrs.)
12 to 24—1.50
25 to 36—1.75
37 to 45—1.90
46 or more—2.00
4. Students will not be evaluated for possible dismissal until they have completed 12 credit hours.
5. A student will be removed from academic probation when he/she has a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
6. Summer sessions will count as one semester when considering probation, dismissal, and re-admission criteria.
Note: Students may be dismissed from their school or program if they fail to meet academic or professional standards. Such students will be informed of their dismissal in writing by the school’s dean or the dean’s campus representative.
(Faculty Senate, 9/18/2006)