School of Education
Change to Education
The Change to Education Program Secondary is for those individuals who have already earned a baccalaureate degree and who are interested in becoming secondary education teachers. All applications for the Change to Education Program Secondary must be received by the School of Education at IU Kokomo by mid-April for Fall admits and mid-October for Spring admits.
- Eligible candidate must have completed a baccalaureate degree at an accredited institution with a major in the same subject area in which the candidate is seeking licensure: Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies.
- Candidate must have a grade point average of 2.5 on a four (4.00) point scale, both in the major and overall.
- A Master of Science degree from an accredited institution of higher education, with a major in the same subject area for which licensure is sought, may also qualify one for admission.
- A cover letter (approximately two pages) in which the candidate outlines goals, reasons for pursuing a teaching license and how the C2E program will match these goals.
- Official score reports from PRAXIS II, indicating you have passed this tests. (After September 1, 2013, TEP candidates will take the Pearson Content and Pedagogy exams for licensure.)
- A detailed resume.
- Official copies of past college or university transcripts;
Three semesters of education-related coursework, delivered in seminar format and online, followed by one semester of student teaching. Seminar content will focus on the Essential Pedagogies: Development, Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment, and Professionalism. Field experiences may be accomplished by paid internship/substitute teaching in one of the School of Education’s Center for Educational Partnership (CEP) twenty-two school corporations.