Undergraduate Academic Programs
Therapeutic Outdoor Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Dr. Alison Voight for academic advising.
Alison Voight, Ph.D., CTRS
Coordinator, Therapeutic Outdoor Programs Minor
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
avoight [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students who wish to add a therapeutic outdoor programs specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Therapeutic Outdoor Programs Core Courses (12 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-O 279 Outdoor Adventure Education (3 cr.)
- SPH-O 322 Therapeutic Outdoor Instructional Techniques (3 cr.)
- SPH-O 420 Principles of Therapeutic Outdoor Programs (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 395 Practicum in Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies (3 cr.)
Therapeutic Outdoor Programs Elective Courses (3 cr.)
Complete one course from the following list:
- SPH-R 210 Inclusion in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism (3 cr.)
- SPH-Y 225 Disability, Health, and Function (3 cr.)
- SPH-Y 277 Foundations of Recreational Therapy Practice (3 cr.)