Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Dr. Phil Henson for academic advising.
Department of Kinesiology
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
rfchapma [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs who wish to add a coaching specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 20 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Required Core Courses (10-11 cr.):
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-K 280 Principles of Athletic Training and Emergency Care (2 cr.) or SPH-H 160 First Aid and Emergency Care (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 335 Theories of Conditioning for Coaching (limited to coaching minor students or instructor consent) (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 435 Philosophical Foundations of Coaching (limited to coaching minor students or instructor consent) (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 455 Practicum in Coaching (junior/senior standing and admission to the coaching minor) (2 cr.)
Coaching Courses (4 cr.):
complete 4 credits from the following courses:
- SPH-A 361 Coaching of Football (2 cr.) (spring only)
- SPH-A 362 Coaching of Basketball (2 cr.) (fall only)
- SPH-A 363 Coaching of Baseball (2 cr.) (fall only)
- SPH-A 364 Coaching of Track and Field (2 cr.) (fall only)
- SPH-A 367 Coaching of Swimming and Diving (2 cr.)
- SPH-A 368 Coaching of Tennis (2 cr.) (spring only)
- SPH-A 370 Coaching of Soccer (2 cr.) (spring only)
- SPH-A 371 Coaching of Volleyball (2 cr.) (fall only)
- SPH-A 483 Sports Officiating (1 cr.) (usually basketball, track & field, or softball)
- SPH-I 220 Training Theories for Endurance Events (2 cr.)
- SPH-K 317 Theory and Practice of Resistance Training (2 cr.)
- SPH-K 450 Topic: History of Indiana High School Basketball (3 cr.)
Specialized Electives (6 cr.):
Complete 6 credits from the following courses:
- EDUC-G 207 Introduction to Student-Athlete Counseling Psychology (3 cr.)
- SPH-N 231 Human Nutrition (P: CHEM-C 101 and BIOL or ANAT or PHSL) +N&M
- SPH-K 150 Introduction to Public Health and Kinesiology (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 205 Structural Kinesiology (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 391 Biomechanics (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 405 Introduction to Sport Psychology (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 409 Basic Physiology of Exercise (P: PHSL-P 215) (3 cr.)
- SPH-K 452 Motor Learning (3 cr.)
Proof of CPR certification is required. Certification in CPR is only acceptable from the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the National Safety Council. First aid and AED essentials certification is strongly recommended.
+ Courses followed by the N&M notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, natural and mathematical sciences requirement for bachelor's degree students.