The School of Public Health - Bloomington has enjoyed a history of success, effectiveness, and exciting developments. In June of 2012, the Council on Education for Public Health, the accrediting body for schools of public health, approved a request to begin the accreditation for the School of Public Health - Bloomington. Formerly known as the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, the school was originally established in 1946 as the first School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER) in the United States, the school and its programs have grown to encompass a broad spectrum of academic interests and professional fields. As a result of the scholarship and service records of the faculty and the unparalleled professional contributions of the school's worldwide alumni, the School has earned an enviable reputation for excellence both at home and abroad. As one of the most active and influential alumni groups in the United States, the School's graduates continue to provide a loyal support network for current programs and students.