Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Paulene Hardy for academic advising.
Department of Applied Health Science
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
pahardy [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the community health major, who wish to add public health to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Public Health Core Courses: (12 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-B 150 Introduction to Public Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 366 Community Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 403 Public Health Program Planning (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 311 Human Disease and Epidemiology (3 cr.)
Public Health Elective Courses (3 cr.)
Complete two of the following electives:
- SPH-B 310 Health Care in Diverse Communities (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 354 Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Gerontology (3 cr.)
- SPH-F 150 Introduction to Life Span Human Development (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-F 255 Human Sexuality (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-F 258 Marriage and Family Interaction (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-F 350 Topical Seminar in Human Development and Family Studies (3 cr.) or SPH-F 341 Effects of Divorce on Children (3 cr.) or SPH-F 345 Parent/Child Relations (3 cr.) or SPH-F 355 Leading Family Process Discussion Groups (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 163 Emerging Health Issues (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 172 International Health and Social Issues (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 174 Prevention of Violence in American Society (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 180 Stress Prevention and Management (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 220 Death and Dying (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 234 Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 263 Personal Health (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 305 Women's Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 306 Men's Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 315 Consumer Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 318 Drug Use in American Society (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 320 The Nature of Cancer (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 326 AIDS and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 350 Topical Seminar in Health Education (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 351 Complementary and Alternative Approaches to Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 381 Introduction to Health Information and Statistics (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 385 Practicum in College Death Education (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 395 Practicum in College Sex Education (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 418 The Nature of Addiction (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 445 Travel Study (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 464 Coordinated School Health Programs (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 494 Research and Evaluation Methods in Health and Safety (3 cr.)
- SPH-N 220 Nutrition for Health (3 cr.) or SPH-N 231 Human Nutrition (3 cr.) +N&M
- SPH-N 331 Life Cycle Nutrition (3 cr.)
- SPH-N 336 Community Nutrition (3 cr.)
- SPH-S 350 Topical Seminar in Safety Education (3 cr.)