Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Shannan Stryjewski for academic advising.
Department of Applied Health Science
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
sstryjew [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs outside the safety major, who wish to add a safety specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Safety Core Courses (9 cr.):
Complete each of the following courses:
- HPER-S 101 Introduction to Safety (3 cr.) or HPER-S 217 Safety: A Personal Focus (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 151 Legal Aspects of Safety (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 345 Safety Program Management (3 cr.)
Safety Elective Courses (6 cr.)
Complete two of the following courses:
(At least one course must be at the 300 level or above.)
- HPER-C 403 Public Health Program Planning (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 160 First Aid and Emergency Care (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 460 Practicum in First Aid Instruction (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 231 Safety Engineering and Technology (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 251 Incident Investigation and Analysis (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 352 System Safety Analysis (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 370 Principles and Strategies of Behavioral Safety (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 415 Safety Education and Training (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 425 Safety Process: Administration and Leadership (3 cr.)
- HPER-S 430 Exploring Safety Culture (3 cr.)
- SPEA-E 311 Introduction to Risk Assessment and Risk (3 cr.)
- SPEA-E 452 Solid and Hazardous Waste Management (3 cr.)
- SPEA-E 476 Environmental Law and Regulation (3 cr.)
- Other course electives as approved by advisor